hasselblad and polaroid back

emraphoto

<p>hi folks,</p>

<p>a question or two for the the experts. non experts feel free to chime in.</p>

<p>considering a 'blad with a polaroid back to shoot a project (mainly street portraits) and was curious about the feasibility. would be scanning the polaroids (epson flatbed) and printing on an epson 2400. hoping to print in the 8" by 8" range and was wondering whether enough information would be captured on the polaroid for a decent print. that being said I AM NOT A STICKLER for razor sharp, perfect prints. i understand there will be a certain "character" to the final image and that's what i am going for.</p>

<p>what are your thoughts folks?</p>

<p>(of course a back with tmax 400 and another with 400 rated at 800 will be along for the ride)</p>

<p>Blowing up a Polaroid that is 56x56mm, that is even smaller than the consumer 600 Polaroids, to 8x8" is probably not the best. The enlargments will be quite soft. <br>

But then again, within the world of art, everything is possible. </p>

<p>hmm... i don't mind a bit "soft". i was kind of going for the "holga" thing but wanted a hasselblad for after the "art" thing. </p>

<p>i guess the only way to find out is to try it out myself. i have pondered the mamiya universal and 600 se... maybe i'll have another look.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Considering the cost of Polaroid or Fuji instant films, I'd give this a pass. The Polaroid back for the 'blad makes only a small image on the sheet. I find them useful for checking lighting ratios in a studio setting, and not useful for much else. Even there, the utility of the Polaroid back is now obsolete. A high end digital P&S, like the Canon G8 or G10, can do that job at a much lower cost. <br>

But it's funny how you're looking for the "Holga" look with a Hasselblad. Those Zeiss lenses are razor sharp, and the backs and bodies don't leak light unless some servicing is required. If you want soft, just de-focus the lens a bit, or cover it with a light diffusion material or filter. Then just shoot film. </p>

<p>well i fully understand what the polaroid back is designed for, how much of the actual film it "utilizes" and the cost. i guess it's just a "look" i am after beyond soft focus etc. i've seen examples of prints from scanned polaroids via a 'blad and have become quite interested in working with the medium. <br>

all the responses are well appreciated!</p>

<p>If I'm not mistaken, Polaroid has also discontinued the film used in most Hasselblad Polaroid packs. I'll offer a contrary viewpoint. I recently enlarged a very old Polaroid-sized print from my very first photo the other day by scanning it on a flatbed, then doing some cleanup on PS. It is easily capable of being printed digitally at 8x8, but that would be about its limit. I was planning to do it more like 5x5.</p>

<p>I just grabbed a PolaPlus back off of the auction site and ran Fuji FP100-C film thru it - it's got that great Polaroid look and feel (and smell <g>). The images are soft, even at 56mm x 56 mm. 8x8 will be real soft, but I agree, could be pretty artistic. Pola backs are cheap - try it - if you don't like, resell it. If you have to buy the 'blad and the lens to get started, then capital costs will be a bit more!!<br>

As far as street photography, the backs are not built as solidly as the Hasselblad. They could easily be broken away form the body, so will need to treat them gingerly when you are pounding the pavement. Also, the body is a bit cumbersome to handhold with the back on - I use mine on a tripod, but am doing urban scapes so the latter is not a problem for me. The film advance lever cannot be unfolded to cock the shutter on my 503CW when the Pola back is attached.</p>

<p>Jon, if you do decide on the Mamiya Universal, make sure you get the 127 lens. When I bought mine from Adorama several years ago. It came with the Polaroid Back and 127 lens. Not trying to have you change camera models. But, just suggesting that if you do get the Universal, then also get the 127 lens. That is the best lens they made for Polaroids. Some lenses don't cover the Polaroid pack films.</p>