Looking for some Urgent indoor lighting advice!

farski

<p>Hey all,<br /> I got a call today from someone I (kind of) know saying the school she works at needs some in-classroom "students learning, teachers teaching" shots.. TOMORROW! Now, since I almost always shoot sports, indoor lighting has never really been an issue, and I own exactly zero strobes. I was going to try to pick up something tonight but I couldn't get out to.</p>

<p>So anyway, now I need to advise as how to make the best of my situation. I will say, they aren't looking for studio quality shots, just better than the low-res point-and-shoots they have right now.<br /> What I'll be bringing with me (and literally everything I own):<br /> D300 + 50mm/1.4<br /> D70s + 70-200/2.8<br /> Because a dumb little piece of plastic broke off the 50 I need to use the cameras in these configurations.</p>

<p>The weather forecast looks pretty bleak, so I can't really count on any window lighting helping me out. I think I'm going to have to resort to a LOT of on-camera flash.<br /> Any advice, general or specific to my equipment, would be VERY much appreciated.<br /> Thanks!</p>

<p>In a class you might need a wider lens. I'd agree, higher ISO with a flash with a diffuser if you have one. Shoot raw in case the lighting is goofy and use some with and some without flash. </p>

<p>I did a moving company showing a school move (their specialty) and the lighting was a weird temp or flicker, even in raw it clashed with the flash temp, luckily I shot half w/o flash and could adjust it in CaptureOne.<br>

<br /> m</p>

<p>Thanks Mark, I'm honestly not 100% sure of how/what I'll be shooting, but I think these are going to be during actual classes (aka can't be right up in kids/teachers faces) and they want close-ups, so I'm not terribly worried about the longish lenses. I certainly wish having some wide shots were an option, but not much I can do about it at this point.</p>

<p>If I'm shooting eTTL, will anything I can't fix in RAW post happen because the pre-flash and real flash are at different cycles in the lighting?</p>

<p>How big are they planning on printing your shots? The D300 can certainly produce decent 8x10s at 3200 iso so I would try shooting at that without flash first before resorting to flash which can lend an unnatural look to the scene. Unfortunately the D70 is not so forgiving--are you sure you can't just use the D300 alone?</p>