Leica CL...First Rolls Back!

jbm

<p>Well, I have to admit I was actually nervous to see that I might get out of my new Leica CL. I enjoyed shooting it but shot a bit more than maybe I should have without getting the results back to correct any mistakes. I didn't have to worry...I took somedecent pictures, the spot meter (and everybody's advice as to how to use it), worked just fine and I got many, many more keepers per trip of the shutter than I get with my D300 (which I still love...it takes just outrageously good photos...but this is different).<br>

It's amazing how much the return to film brings me back to the older, different satisfaction I took from photography when I was younger with my Dad's F3. I think a little more, shoot a little less, and really enjoy the process. I looooove digital, but it's like comparing apples and toasters.<br>

I would say I am a convert and will be using the Leica very regularly now. Next step is a scanner...either a Nikon or the Epson V750...the scanning costs are going to get steep!<br /> Cheers,<br /> Jay</p><div>00Rkj1-96373684.thumb.jpg.574d9076105a39e2c7ec7ff6b9172fea.jpg</div>

<p>Congrats. I miss my CL it went out for service (cla) two days ago. If I could make a recomendation though, if you are mainly going to shoot 35mm get the Nikon coolscan 5000. I just got mine this last weekend and I am floored by it. I had the 750 pro m with the AISoft software and I really wasn't very happy with the quality of my 35 scans. Plus I thought the AIsoft program had a pretty steep learning cuve.<br>

Tell about the scanning costs, thats why I said the heck with it and bought a good scanner. I dropped off 12 rolls a few days before I bought the scanner and my lab for a high quality 12meg scan was 20 bucks a roll. I did the math and sold a few spare camera parts on the bay to pay for the rest of the scanner.</p>

<p>Taken on a walk out to Ram's Pasture on Nantucket Island. The lab lost my scanned CD's from the rest of this day...but there are at least 10 keepers on it. I know from the tiny proofs they include. Can't wait to see that Ilford 100 shine!</p><div>00RkjH-96377584.thumb.jpg.5b3e6417f6b1b4499df3612e53f12491.jpg</div>

<p>This was my very first shot with the CL...save for the two clicks I made in the store without really knowing what I was doing (one happens to be a nice portrait of the chap that sold me the camera). I took this on the loading dock of EP Levine Photo on the way out.</p><div>00Rkjh-96379884.thumb.jpg.dec884119603f3c6e8bb5974bc1b3a7a.jpg</div>

<p>Size. A bit larger than a Rollie 35. The 40 cron is flat like a 35. I would guess, heck I`ll look it up. Not in my catalog.<br>

So a guess is 2/3 the length of an M. Much lighter.</p>

<p>Get the Nikon scanner if you are serious. You would not put a 1/4" window in front of the camera. That`s a flat bed. Although the V700 is pretty decent for a flatbed.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ben, the CL is quite small...I carry it when I go running now in one hand, dog leashes in the other. I attach it to my wrist via a strap and hold it with my very small hands without a problem. The Summi 40 is a very small lens, and the package has just the right amount of heft. It feels perfect, just plain old perfect.<br>

Doug, the problem is that I am shooting medium format again, as well, otherwise the Nikon would be great. The 9000 is a great scanner but costs 2200 bucks...the 750 is able to do large format, as well. If I was only doing 35mm I would go with the Nikon 5000. I actually just got negatives and transparencies back from a week spent with a Mamiya 7 (Mamiya 7 + Velvia 100 = HOLY GUACAMOLE). They are outrageous. One other thing...I have seen some absolutely stunning scans from an inexpensive PlusTek scanner, but it's Dmax limits shadow detail a bit. Still it scans at a very high resolution for a couple of hundred bucks.<br>

I am bummed to hear you had bad luck with the Epson. Mostly I've heard positive responses. Maybe I should get a Nikon for 35 and MF and then a good flatbed for LF. We'll see.<br>

These scans are the "proof scans" from my lab. They are crap scans...there is dust all over the negatives and they are very low resolution. Still I am pleased with the initial quality of the images from the CL. Scanned well with low ISO film, I see no reason not to up interpolate and make great 20x30 prints.<br>

There are several shots I took wide open and they are actually pretty sharp and it was easy to focus. Or else I got lucky. Who cares...it worked!<br>

I will post more when I get a chance.<br>

Thanks to everyone for their advice with the camera and the spot meter. I am thrilled to be learning about another facet of photography with a great new group of people.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Jay</p><div>00Rkks-96385784.thumb.jpg.243829af655d2af3f2f0567a9097da69.jpg</div>

<p>Ben, the CL is quite small...I carry it when I go running now in one hand, dog leashes in the other. I attach it to my wrist via a strap and hold it with my very small hands without a problem. The Summi 40 is a very small lens, and the package has just the right amount of heft. It feels perfect, just plain old perfect.<br>

Doug, the problem is that I am shooting medium format again, as well, otherwise the Nikon would be great. The 9000 is a great scanner but costs 2200 bucks...the 750 is able to do large format, as well. If I was only doing 35mm I would go with the Nikon 5000. I actually just got negatives and transparencies back from a week spent with a Mamiya 7 (Mamiya 7 + Velvia 100 = HOLY GUACAMOLE). They are outrageous. One other thing...I have seen some absolutely stunning scans from an inexpensive PlusTek scanner, but it's Dmax limits shadow detail a bit. Still it scans at a very high resolution for a couple of hundred bucks.<br>

I am bummed to hear you had bad luck with the Epson. Mostly I've heard positive responses. Maybe I should get a Nikon for 35 and MF and then a good flatbed for LF. We'll see.<br>

These scans are the "proof scans" from my lab. They are crap scans...there is dust all over the negatives and they are very low resolution. Still I am pleased with the initial quality of the images from the CL. Scanned well with low ISO film, I see no reason not to up interpolate and make great 20x30 prints.<br>

There are several shots I took wide open and they are actually pretty sharp and it was easy to focus. Or else I got lucky. Who cares...it worked!<br>

I will post more when I get a chance.<br>

Thanks to everyone for their advice with the camera and the spot meter. I am thrilled to be learning about another facet of photography with a great new group of people.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Jay</p><div>00Rkl7-96386184.thumb.jpg.fc725ecd856177ba1d1c92a07dd04c24.jpg</div>

<p>Ooops, sorry abou the double post. I didn't realize the first one went through as my browser gave a giant error message...sorry. Off to bed!<br>

8 more rolls to return to me on Saturday!<br>

Cheers,<br>

Jay</p>

<p>Howard, I appreciate the offer. I love the D300 and it will continued to get a lot of use. The CL is not the best sports camera, I cannot use a 200 mm portrait lens on it, and it is not the best for super wide angle photography. Also, with the Nikon CLS and some speedlights, I can shoot anywhere on any street and get amaxing fashion photos out of it. So, for now, at leaset, I will hold onto the Nikon.<br>

Should circumstance change and I find myself not shooting digital at all, I will certainly keep your offer in mind and you get frist dibs! ;-)<br>

Thanks for looking, everybody!<br>

Cheers,<br>

Jay</p>

<p>I own a Leica CL, with an outstanding Summicron C 40/2. I use this combo mostly with colour slide films and i'm very happy. It's a little and very useful camera. A little suggestion for the Summicron C 40/2: the original 5.5 filter size it's same to 39x0.75 mm. The Nikkor 39 mm filters work perfectly.<br>

Very nice shots, Jay.<br>

Ciao. </p>

<p>Jay, you are off to a great start. Welcome back to film. The posted shot of your Dad looks like you nailed the exposure setting. Did you use the CL meter setting or compensate up or down? Because the CL is so light, I've bought and screwed on a Tom Abrahamsson large softie shutter release button. My CL shutter release isn't as butter smooth as the M's so the big button gives you better control of the release. I find it cuts way down on blurring at the lower speeds.</p>

<p>Hey Chris,<br>

Funny, I find the CL to be hefty for its size, which I guess shows I hve spent not realy time with a Leica M!<br>

I overexposed a lot of the photos by about a stop or just under that, but the one of my Dad was really close to spot on. I would just take a reading of the face as a midtone figuring caucasian skin is a little darker than white but a little lighter than a true midtone (in my dad's case, anyway). So I would set the skin dead even then get the meter a stop under that and hope for the best. Could I have stretched that answer out any longer? Easier: I intentionally had to underexpose from the spot reading of Dad's face by a stop.<br>

Is there a website I can use to find the soft release?<br>

Cheers,<br>

Jay</p>

<p>This has been fun to read, Jay. Great shot of your Dad. Your comments on keeping one foot in each pool (film, digital) reminded me of my own <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00RMbi"><strong>ramblings in an earlier thread</strong></a>. I'm trying to picture you running with that camera in hand - hope you switch periodically so that you don't get lopsided biceps.</p>