Tiny flashgun recommendation?

simon_fallon

<p>Hi all, can anyone recommend a really small, lightweight flashgun to carry everywhere with a two or three lens FM2 kit?  I will happily consider a third party gun. Small size is my main priority; I'm hoping to find something  which I won't notice the weight of in my bag but which offers at least two or three auto f-stop settings and reasonable exposure accuracy. Grateful as always for any advice.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/flash/SB22/index.htm">SB-22s</a> might also work for you. Also a fairly recent flash (discontinued about 5 years ago) with a choice of 4 apertures in non-TTL auto mode. Reasonably compact, with bounce capability. (Note: link seems to be down at the moment, but check back later)</p>

<p>edit: link from Nikon UK - <a href="http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/119/overview.html">http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/119/overview.html</a></p>

<p>Of Nikon brand flash units, the old SB-10 was reasonably small for an auto-thyristor type with manual and two auto flash settings.  Roughly the size of a large pack of king size cigarettes (in the flip top box).  No bounce or tilt, but the entire flash could pivot around the extended arm/leg of the shoe for better orientation of vertical/portrait compositions.  Not lightweight since it uses four AA batteries, but lithium AA's can reduce the weight a bit.</p>

<p>Another very good small auto thyristor flash I've used was the old Olympus OM-system T20.  Slightly smaller and lighter than the Nikon SB-10, took only a pair of AA batteries.</p>

<p>Olympus made an even smaller flash unit, the tiny PS200, but it's manual only, no auto settings.  It was designed for the Olympus 35 RC compact rangefinder which used a clever automatic guide number flash system in which the aperture was linked to the focus ring.  Just to humor myself I tried it in a similar way with my D2H - darned thing worked well.  But the PS200 is virtually impossible to find and probably something of a collectible.</p>

<p>I'm sure there are other relatively small non-Nikon brand auto thyristor flash units out there.</p>

<p>Two come to mind: the SB-27 and the SB-30.<br>

Now... if I only had my Nikon Speedlight Guide... but I sold it some time ago.  In any event, those two (one old and the other fairly recent, yet discontinued as well as the former) should do the trick for you.  I'm sure the SB-27 can go on automatic.  As for the SB-30, I know it will do TTL flash metering with AF bodies, and manual with older cameras.  <br>

Take care and have fun shopping!</p>

<p>Thank you all very much for your responses. I've noted every suggestion and will now get busy checking specs to make a shortlist; two or three of the above sound promising and I suspect it may come down to which one happens to come up first on a certain auction site. Thanks again guys, helpful as always. Regards to all. Simon.</p>

<p>Richard, I prefer the GN system over TTL, and use flashbulbs more than strobes, but if I am recommending equipment I try to work out what is most compatable with what. Sometimes when in a hurry TTL can be useful, however personally I feel that the GN system is more consistent when you have used it for a while and know what to set and when.</p>

<p>The GN system works best with shutters than can sync at virtually any speed. That pretty much limits it to leaf shutters and the handful of focal plane shutters than can sync above 1/250 without restrictions.</p>

<p>It was handy in its day but has too many limitations. You have less control over DOF. Its main strength is that it limits the variables. TTL flash can sometimes misbehave unexpectedly in tricky lighting. But when it works, TTL flash is much quicker and offers far greater control over the balance between ambient light and flash, and DOF.</p>

<p>I learned GN flash and manual flash calculation techniques as a kid back in the '60s. I don't miss that era at all. In fact, for decades I tended to avoid flash unless absolutely necessary when there wasn't enough light even for pushing to 6400. Now, with sophisticated TTL flash, I use it routinely, even outdoors in daylight.</p>

<p>Ian/Lex -</p>

<p>Ian, the OP is using a MANUAL camera lets hope he knows 'what to set and when'.</p>

<p>Lex, as you know back in '60s GN were all we had. Everyone with focal plane shutters used it to produce some pretty stunning photos even by today's standards. The answer isn't a leaf shutter but the correct selection of film (speed) so that the usable EV's fall in the desired range.</p>

<p>Happy Holidays!</p>

<p> </p>