Ring Flash

I am wondering if any of you have the Gary Fong Ring Flash unit. I am trying to find a ring flash but do not have a

fortune to spend. Is the fong unit any good? if any of you have any ideas I would appreciate the input.

If there is another unit I should be looking at I will welcome the ideas.

I want to use the flash for portrates and macro.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

i don't know about this specific unit, but he does indicate that it only has full power and auto-ttl, and depending on whether

it is compliant with ittl/ettl, this may mean that you have no control over the output/ambient balance.

rated at 14 metres, there are a lot of other and older ringlights in the same power range that have more manual control. i

have a couple but have not experimented enough with them. but one has a dynamic output knob. an old Sunpak. check on

ebay. but be careful of sync voltage.

t

Ray Flash and Orbis are just plastic attachments to a flash.

Ray's at $299 price is an insult to photographers. Even Orbis at $169 seems too expensive for what it represents,

as it is priced close to Fong's discount price.

I wonder how Fong's unit works in the "Semi-automatic" mode? - and if there is any in-camera support for flash

semi-automatic mode? How well it integrates with latest Nikon DSLR iTTL cameras in Auto iTTL mode?

We do not know what the semi-automatic mode is for? Why provide the "semi-automatic" mode if there is full auto

iTTL ? If possibly iTTL cannot be trusted?, then there is a Manual mode. Sounds like another option for those not

satisfied with the Auto iTTL? or for compatibility with older cameras?

Fong's flash makes more sense for macro work than the plastic expensive attachments. Not sure if it has sufficient

power beyond macro, and if is any good for fashion photos use?

Of course ABR800 is the best of all mentioned here, very capable for portrait and fashion, and is reasonably priced,

but much more powerful than Fong's, is bigger and heavier - so may not be the best for dental close-up work?

Macro flashes are for macro use, whatever the sellers may say. They're not suitable for portraits/fashion/glamour, not only because they have inadequate power but also because they are physically far too small to create a proper 'ringlight effect' at the distances at which they need to be used. Real ringflashes have a BIG ring.

I haven't seen all of the various different hotshoe flash adapters, those I have seen are a clever idea spoilt by very poor build quality. A tool that drops to bits in normal use isn't a lot of use, regardless of how well it does the job. The ones I have seen are usable with great care, and with cameras that produce good results at high ISO but are a poor substitute for the real thing - as with all 'studio' attachments for hotshoe flashes, the power is inadequate.

The real thing is a ringflash that plugs into a generator unit (pack & head in the U.S) - Elinchrom, Bowens, Profoto, Lencarta.

I've never used the Alien Bees ringflash but I had a good play with one. I'm impressed with its versatility (the modifiers Ellis mentioned) , not so impressed with the build quality or design but it's good value for money.

<p>Hey, they're right. Its just rebranded crapola. Your best bet is if you do have the money and work near a power outlet or can afford the portable power source as well, get the alienbees ringflash. ABR800 ($399) and the Alienbees Vagabond ($299)<br>

If money is an object try this, go get the Orbis flash NOW while its only $169. Then get a hotshoe flash and off camera shoe like the $40 shots on ebay. I have one for my Sony Alpha and am waiting for my Orbis. I'm mating my orbis flash with my Sigma EF 500 DG Superflash. I'll have more power than the Fong rebrand and it will give me better ring flash results cause its a bit larger.</p>