Frequent contributor icons?

john clark

Hi,

I was wondering how the frequent contributor icons (you know, with the one, two or three film canister icons) is

calculated for a given member. Reason I ask is that I've seen some members with three who appear to have posted

more than others with only one. Over what period is the calculation carried out?

Not that important, really, but it was something that I wondered but about which couldn't find a satisfactory

explanation.

Thanks,

John

The exact calculation is not something we make public. Too many people would consider it a race and be tempted to contribute crap to the site just for the sake of pumping up their "numbers".

However, do keep in mind that it is not just a marker of "forum" activity. It does take into account activity all across the site.

I guess we have the icons as an indicator of who is an active member of the site, the logic being perhaps that things said by active members might carry more weight than those said by occasional visitors.

However it's a marker of quantity, not quality, of comments and the two do not always correlate positively. In fact in some cases the opposite appears to be true.