Come On! Let's Show Pictures

"Photographs provide a way to demonstrate and discuss what is most important in photography, images, rather than idle words. It also lets

one know if comments come from someone who uses a camera or just puts it on display."<br>

<br>

dear jeff,<br>

<br>

i'm sorry if i read something into this statement that you never inferred or implied. as i stated, your work and your words are held in high regard by myself and many others as i can see. i do recall that i also stated that i was in no way attempting to put words in your mouth. the paraphrasing i was referring to was of the 'general notion'. that general notion is something i have gathered from reading other posts as well (i think i clarified this also). my intent is more an inquisitive one as opposed to an argumentative one and it is certainly not an accusatory one. i really am just curious as to how the members recieve eachother as it seems a little different from the website, which recieves my textual input without the requirement of a photo.<br>

<br>

daniel flynn<br>

victoria bc<br>

canada

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apologies. as clearly shown here on this thread, posting pictures is a wonderful way of showcasing Leica technique, style, and performance.

Mr. Spirer's assertion doesn't agree with my observations. most all successful photographers I know, including several internationally known artists, have many things in common. one, they do not spend a nanosecond on photo.net or other related forums. two, they are generally technically inept and rarely would be able to provide any technical foundations for how they accomplish their work. they could tell you what they do, with what effect, but not necessarily why it works. and three, they cannot articulate their viewpoint or methodology in the written word.

the forum is an amalgam of personality, skill, erudition, and nonsense. posting a photo may indeed illuminate a point, but in general tends to illuminate the contributor and their ego. Philip Greenspun clearly states he isn't providing a $600k chat room or slide show. Mr. Nicholson's contribution for my enjoyment begs the question as to Summicron or Summilux? serial number? black or silver? oh, and Mars Attacks! seemed a waste by any metric.

the Leica forum could be much more than it is, but only if its participants allow it to breathe and focus more on defined objectives.

"In general, the majority of the contributors appear to be a bunch of pathetic middle aged blow hard photographic wanna-be-s consumed with nonsense like lens caps, camera straps, and other equipment related nonsense who enter into ridiculous quasi-technical diatribes, and who also think that any B+W picture taken at an oblique camera angle with an M-series camera qualifies as a decent picture. I stumbled upon this forum in search of serious photographers who are accomplished professionally, who have traveled extensively, and who use Leicas. This forum isn't it! It's nothing more than a sounding board for a bunch of jerkoffs."

strive for change, move forward, and prove Mr. Barbano wrong.

all the best ... adios

'Mr. Nicholson's contribution for my enjoyment begs the question as to

Summicron or Summilux? serial number? black or silver?'

Daniel, my picture was shot with an Olympus Mju II - which no doubt proves

one of your many points.

My purpose in posting was to steer this thread back to what I thought was

its promising beginning; a series of pictures of grafitti - pictures that you had

scoffed at.

Sure enough, such pictures - pictures of 'urban art' - are often as cliched and

picturesque as sunsets and waterfalls. But it seemed to me that the pictures

shown at the top of this thread were all unified by a compelling theme -

grafitti as the troubled expression of a disturbed mind. I found this theme

interesting and thought I'd contribute a picture of my own.

Sorry, it has nothing to do with Leicas.

I'm outta here.

Marc, I hope you continue to initiate these thematic, picture-posting threads. They have a great exquisite corpse feeling. Only problem is finding the pictures amidst all the words. Anyways, thanks for making your enthusiasm infectious.

Elliott, your contribution speaks volumes. It gets my vote for Best of Show.

"posting a photo may indeed illuminate a point, but in general

tends to illuminate the contributor and their ego."

I've gotta disagree on that.

Is posting photos which tends to (according to you) illuminate

the contributor and their ego any worse than those who write with

a style designed to accomplish the same? Some skillfully weave

in all sorts of details about their life, their enjoyment of the finer

things, along with references to their economic status - all

irrelevant, IMO. Doesn't that illuminate the contributor and their

ego as well? At least photos are relevant to photography.

Of those that post photos, I have no idea what they do for a living

or what their economic status is. I kind of like that. When I view a

posted photo, the motivations you speak of just don't enter my

mind. It's just an image to think about and hopefully enjoy.

Photos or photo-bable. I'll take photos, thank you. Wish I had a

good graffiti photo to post...

www.citysnaps.net