Anybody else getting server errors when trying to add custom fields?

wavegirl

Me too. I reported this bug months ago.

Recently though it seems that I've been getting them everywhere. The site is now buggier than I ever remember it being. Photo.net seemed to be a testing ground for the ArsDigita Community Server so some of the previous problems could have been attributed to that. Now without that connection problems here just seem to be due to sloppyness. New features are being introduces with problems, old features are no longer working or not working correctly.

When this was just a pet project it was understandable to have a few problems here and there. Now that people are looking to turn this into at least a self sustaining, if not profitable site, then more care should be taken into developing it, not less as seems to be the case.

Tom, I don't know that problems are "everywhere", but I am the person responsible for any new problems that you are seeing, because I am the only person changing the code, and I inadvertently break things sometimes especially things in dark corners. None of the people who wrote the original code are around to explain that changing this over here will break this other obscure thing over there, and if I don't think of the connection, it won't come to light until a user notices it and reports the problem.

The alternative is not to change anything, which is what was happening for the last year or more before I took over.

I would appreciate it if you notice things that don't work, if you would give me the specifics. Statements like the one you made don't help me.

Well, Tom I see from your recent history that you haven't been on the site since April; so I guess all the bugs you are seeing "everywhere" predate my starting to make changes, the first of which were on May 11. It would still be useful to know to what bugs you are referring.

• 4 weeks later...

Gee Brian,

Don't be a wise ass. I've been on the site but I haven't been contributing much for a lot of reasons. Partly because I sometimes can't go 2 pages without getting a server error and having to reload. There are also other people reporting problems so lets not pretend the problems don't exist. I tried emailing you a list of bugs and some other comments and suggestions. Between my email problems and the email bouncing back from you a couple of times it never got through.

How about this for another bug. I never received the email alert for your postings.

If you want to just sit here and exchange wise ass remarks we can do that but it won't accomplish anything.

Tom, if you tried to send me email between July 18 and two days ago, it bounced because I moved house, and changed email accounts. Try again. As for the server errors, yes I know about them. As you know, they are not new, and they don't seem to have prevented the last month from setting records in terms of hits and postings to the forums.