Digital artifacts

Well, it won't let me send them..says there's an "error" in the file.

Anyway, it shows as a small rectangle of pixilated color. This occurs at random places within an image, just one per image. I say small...in an 8x10 print it would probably measure .5 x .75 inches.

Sometimes (1-200) there is a "smear" and color overlay, usually magenta, that cover almost half the image.

I did try shooting jpegs...same results. Different CF cards, same results. (I'm using Lexar and Sandisk)

I think that, if it's happening with both NEF and JPG files from two different cameras, the common factor is the computer. I think that is a more likely scenario than two different cameras failing at the same time in the way.

If the problem goes away using your son's computer, then you will still need to isolate the error on your machine. It might be software (corrupted Lightroom? seems unlikely...) but it also might a fault with USB hardware and/or USB drivers. Re-installing the USB drivers is easy enough but testing the USB hardware would probably require you go and buy a 3rd party USB card and install that. So perhaps before diving into all of that, you could give Dell a call.