5d mark II strange black dots?

ivan_gunduli_

<p>Thanks for this Xavier. Your new action is much better for that particular image. Unfortunately it doesn't work as well for all images; in fact I would doubt that it's possible to make an automated action which would work on all images. In particular, the number of pixels needed to nudge the white selection to the right might differ from image-to-image, and if the "black-spotted" highlights are not all the same colour as the colour chosen with Colour Select, some of the spots will be missed.<br>

I think any action would have to be tweaked on an image-by-image basis. Of course this is not the end of the world; as Scott suggested most images need some work done on them, but I'd rather not be forced to fix images due to intrinsic camera defects.</p>

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Mike, you are right about the action not being universal. There is still some work to do regarding the color of the highlights, but I am less worried about the nudging that should be fairly standard. On the other hand, the selection should be feathered so that the "make-up" correction has smoother edges...<br>

And if it's not universal, then a little tweak on a per image basis is not a problem as I am already forced to fix my images for the equipment's intrinsic "defects": noise, white balance, contrast, distorsion, flare, vignetting, etc. :-)<br>

I agree with Yakim, it is a minor issue.</p>

Having thought long and hard about what to write here, I'll cut to the chase, I have just cancelled my order based on what I've read above....I need a camera I can depend on in ALL situations (currently using 5D), not one that provides me with more work in Photoshop. Nikon will apparently announce the release of the D700x on December 20th, if this goes down as well as the D700 did....So, Canon, I know you read these forums, you need a solution to this issue before the D700x hits the streets I would suggest.

<p>I agree with Steve May- I've also lost interest in this camera until Canon owns up and fixes the problem. The response on the dpreview link that says the images from iso 100-400 look great is bunk. The guy needs to get his head, well, you know..... and look at the posts. I surely would not spend that money on a camera that's boasting 21 MP but not be able to take advantage of them while enlarging due to a camera flaw. A big benefit to this camera is its low light useability. Guess what- there are usually hotspots in those situations! I don't know enough, or care to know enough about PS to make scripts to solve a problem I shouldn't have to solve. And don't tell me I'm therfore not serious enough to own a camera like this then, as I'm sure some people will think. This camera is supposed to make your workflow easier, not add to it. I learned a long time ago- never buy v1.0 of anything..... I too want a power button on my TV!</p>

<p>Well, I'm one of those who usually doesn't buy v1.0 either (particularly cars). But I really wanted to upgrade ASAP as I'm selling my photos online. I thought Canon learned from the 1D debacle (focusing issues) and wouldn't release another camera that has problems. But I'm quite certain this will be fixed in firmware, so I'm not particularly upset.</p>

<p>I hope Canon realizes that their response to this problem is perhaps more important than the problem itself.  All eyes are on THEM. If they don't fix it fast and try to whitewash it, it won't bode well.  Nikon is providing some great alternatives.  I have a 5d2 in the box at home(I'll get it tonight when I get there) and will check it out.  If Canon acts like there is no problem or is very slow in a proper response, I'll have no qualms about selling all my gear and switching to Nikon.  <br>

Shawn</p>

<p>Michael, you were the one trying to convince me this was a major issue despite the fact that you don't own the camera, and have not seen a print from one. I think you are wrong, the original link printed out is not unusable, I did it today at work. I don't care if you buy a camera or not, I don't like it when people authoratively comment on stuff they just don't have or haven't even seen. But that is just me.</p>

<p>Mike, I agree with you 100%, I hope this is fixed with a firmware upgrade, but having looked at Berg Na's link it would seem to be a bit more involved. This seems strange as the sensor is just a reworked 1DS MkIII sensor that has given no such problems for very critical photographers for some time. I wonder what the rework really did...</p>

<p>Brad, my appologies this time, obviously you aren't daft. It is a great shame that this has shown up, and yes obviously anybody wanting the camera that will truly test its capabilities (20x30 inch prints before cropping counts! to get your 20x24 size you are looking at 20x30's) could be dissapointed. I do honestly think the vast majority of users will not worry, unless they are told they should, and most of the pictures taken by those users won't be affected anyway.</p>

<p>That doesn't excuse the fault at all, I just tried to keep it in perspective, Canon have been stupid, on the trail of the 1D MkIII AF consumer cofidence debarcle and the fact that Nikon are now playing in the same league, they really should have made the testing work, what were all the Canon techs and photographers doing? It is amazing though that images we were looking at a few days ago as examples of how good the camera is are now being used to show how bad it is.</p>

<p>Take care, Scott.</p>

^^There is no easy workaround. As reported from other users who tried it and it didn't worked for them. There is thread on dpreview about that but please read it through the end before you start jumping, hip hip hooraying or whatever you do when you are happy.

<a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=30276248&changemode=1">http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=30276248&changemode=1</a>

<p>Ivan, you are correct. There is no easy workaround.<br /> I have tested my new 5D mkII all weekend.</p>

<ul>

<li>It produces this problem from ISO 200 upwards. </li>

<li>With short and long exposures. </li>

<li>Whether the lights at distance are in focus or not. </li>

<li>Whether HTP, Lighting Optimizer and Noise Reduction are on or off. </li>

</ul>

<p>My 1Ds mkIII was tested against it. It does not exhibit the same problem the 5D mkII has<br /> There is a defect somewhere in the chain with the 5D mkII's image processing. <br /> Hopefully Canon will be able to address the problem quickly and efficiently via a firmware update.<br>

I take on board that I will still be able to use the camera outwith the shooting conditions that highlight this problem, but as a Pro who shoots night cityscapes and architecture frequently, this is an issue for me. The bottom line is; a new camera should not be defective in any way, shape or form. I will be contacting my CPN rep this morning to discuss the matter further.</p>

<p>I am on a commercial shoot all day today. I'm sure you will appreciate needs dictate.<br /> Although I shoot RAW, I will try to post .jpg examples (or links to) asa I can manage.<br>

I have also discussed this with Canon directly. They are now aware of the situation. <br /> I will update you on progress as and when I can.</p>

Hi guys read this forum a lot but dont post very often as I dont know that much but had a 5d for 3 years and today got my mkii from Calumet, Ive got the flu and am in Scotland so no adventurous shots but I did one of an xmas tree with lights on but in the dark at H2 256K and blew it up to 500% and I cant see these black spots at all I dont know how to download an image if someone can tell me I will do so, also maybe my subject is ot relvant ?

Regards Adrian

<p>Nigel, more importantly, what's up with the horrid purple fringing around the lights? Even when viewed at 'fit to screen', the lights look purple! They weren't purple, were they.</p>

<p>I had my eyes set on this camera too... :(</p>

<p>-Rishi</p>

<p>Yes, black dots are evident - especially in night shots<br /> http://www.6887.com/5dII/blackdots48.JPG<br /> And on my initial (first hour review) I did notice that turning off HTP did lessen the effect.  However with the Christmas lights, nothing really made much of a difference, shooting jpgs/raws/CF options on/off and bracketing.<br /> I did print a sample (effectively a 16 x 24) and could distinguish the dots (just barely with reading glasses).<br /> I tried to produce dots in daylight - not very easy to do.  Shooting the sun through tree leaves created a few dark spots (noticeable at 200%) but nothing as noticeable as the night shots.<br /> If any one wants a raw file, I'll upload one.</p>

<p>Kevin,<br>

This is the most accute form of this problem I have seen so far. In adition to the black pixels the lights are horribly square which is more distracting than the black pixels, I can't imagine the actual lamps or LEDs being square so looks like more trouble here...</p>