5d mark II strange black dots?

ivan_gunduli_

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken,

Can you post a sample image from 30D that has this artifact? I have never noticed this with either the 20D or the 40D in similar situations, there are two 30+ sec exposures of Golden Gate bridge taken with 20D and 40D in my gallery with plenty of blown up lights but they don't show this artifact. This looks like a hardware issue in which saturated pixels can't hold charge, charge leakes out and the pixels are reset and read as zero. My concern is that this turns out to be like the MKIII AF fiasco in which cameras need to be returned and so on....

Here's my example. After comparing it with those from the 5D2, I'm thinking that they are not the same

phenomenon. On these, you can see a black edge between blown out areas and adjacent dark areas, but they are not

always to the right of the blown out areas as they are in the 5D2 examples. Also, the black edge is quite

different from the block-like black spot, which looks bigger than a single pixel, but it sure is hard to tell.<div>00Rh2Q-94841684.jpg.36918b8e70b0e574ba6a86b8863f1080.jpg</div>

Gleaned from trolling various forums: it seems to be pretty common (maybe even universal?); the problem appears in the RAW data, so it has nothing to do with converters, sharpening, etc.; one person said that, based on a side-by-side shoot, his 1Dsiii and 5D do not exhibit the problem, but his 5Dii does.

I'm with Thomas on that photo on the Canon site, it does not show the issue being reported.

This is of concern though; I have a 5D mark II on order. So, I would be very interested in hearing from more users of the 5D mark II. That is first hand experience.

However, this thread is the only place that I have seen any evidence of an issue. So, I'm reserving judgment at this point. If it is a problem with the camera, then I would expect Canon to fix it.

<p>I have Photoshop CS4 Extended with the new ACR and I'm busting at the seams to work with a 5D2 RAW file. I'd

like to see what artifacts and problems I could get to show up. I know I'm probably asking a lot, since that's basically

an original file, I just have no 5D2 yet. It can be <strong>anything</strong>, a photo of the dumpster in your

apartment complex,

whatever, especially if a streetlight is nearby. I'd be happy to post all results and findings. I'd forward them onto

Canon as well.<p><br/>

Thanks,<br/>

Paul<br/>

I have been using the 5DMark2 for well over a week now and have yet to see the black dot issue that's been

surfacing recently. Mind you I have been shooting JPG as I didn't have the extra workflow time required to

convert to DNG and have to upgrade to CS4... call it laziness to install DPP maybe. This issue however is making

me curious....

Have been doing some extensive tests at night - running the full gambit of ISO and seriously have not seen

anything remotely close to what's been appearing. I will go out tonight and try shooting some bright/dark scenes

RAW to test it out however.

This is the flickr link to all the test shots with links to view in full resolution as posted.

http://www.flickr.com/gp/79642675@N00/U5x5vZ

They're nothing special - just test night shots in a tow truck pound as well as some test video.

<p>Thanks Nigel for posting the RAW file, here is a crop from DPP conversion with all parameters set to zero, the RGB value for the black pixels is below the black level meaning that the camera's ADC sees them as "zero"! Unfortunately this looks like a hardware issue so I am not sure how they can fix it but it is possible to add a routine to the converter to detect these false zeros and replace them with nearest neighbor values (albite this might be bad for people who like to do astrophotography!) Thanks for sharing and congradulations on your new camera.</p><div>00RiFi-95347684.jpg.c80bc47584e1cc1a207b411d54c2d3d0.jpg</div>