D3x 24.5 mp sensor

stephen_lilley

The apparently,shortly to be announced, D3x has 24.5 mp sensor. This fact got me thinking about seemingly

accepted logic that shooting with telephoto lenses, 400mm and above is better with cameras where a digital crop

factor comes into play ie.narrower field of view, greater magnification etc. It seems to me that with a larger sensor ,

more cropping can be had, compared to a smaller sensor, for a given level of image "quality" and at some point

shooting with a larger sensor and cropping will have the advantage over DX format. Is this the case? If so what size

sensor would we be talking about. I shoot birds mainly with a Nikon 500mm P lens, 1.4 TC and a D200(10mp) and

crop practically every image. Is the successor, to the D300(12.5mp) likely to have a sensor, that is significantly

larger than 12.5mp.

Regards Stephen

Stephen,

I have a few friends who shoot with the 50D & one comment from one of the best photographers with that camera is that one of his favorite Canon lenses is no longer usable - - the 50D shows all the problems that lens has. So, the more MP the more apparent lens quality is going to make visible. This is one issue to be considered.

I would think Nikon will bring out a camera to match the Canon 50D - - but who knows what the powers that be at Nikon have planned.......

Lil :-)

I think the D3x, like the A900, will leave many folks (who can't afford one of each and all of the lenses either)

stuck agonizing over the "reach" advantages of the slower (system and iso) high mps and the faster, more

responsive, lower pixel count cameras with greater useful iso ranges.

Are you a landscape or studio type who will want to get the odd animal or bird that wanders by, or are you a

sports/action shooter who wants to capture that beautiful sunset or waterfall now and then?

If you have the light to shoot at native ISO sensitivity the finer resolution will give you an advantage in

detail in FF mode and give you an advantage if you crop. If you need higher ISO speeds the larger pixels will

give you an advantage. See for yourself how often you use 200 ISO on a D3 or D700 and how much you benefit from

shooting at higher ISO.

Given the same state of the art for sensors with higher and with lower pixel density this relation will not

change. We will have to wait if the D3x is of same technology or newer. The information we have now does not

point to a major improvement in noise reduction against the state of the art in the D3 and the D3 will be

considerably better at high ISO. Another variable is the high frequency filter in front of the sensor.

Professional photographers (shooting e.g. fabrics) will want a good compromise in

moire reduction. Unfortunately this will limit the maximal resolution. Pro bodies are likely to have a stronger

filter than non-pro bodies.

John,

the lens in question seems to the the much loved by many Canon shooters - the 100-400mm. He's says it just does not hold up quality wise. Now I know others who shoot with 300mm primes etc & they have no such issues. Though I must admit I have another friend who's just got a 50D & a 400mm f/5.6 & he says the camera is not sharp & I agree. His camera has yet to deliver a single sharp shot. I've recommended either just shooting with his D3 & D300 or have the camera & lens looked at by Canon. I've also seen some really ugly noise out of the 50D. I'm on the FredMiranda Nature & Wildlife board a lot so I see a lot of Canon shots - - I'm not all that impressed with the 50D at this point unless it's a super prime.

JMHO

Lil :-)

"I have a few friends who shoot with the 50D & one comment from one of the best photographers with that camera is that one of his favorite Canon lenses is no longer usable - - the 50D shows all the problems that lens has."

As far as pixel density goes, the results will be just as good at a given print size.

The D3x does 10Mp DX at 7fps:

http://sebrogers.typepad.com/seb_rogers_blog/2008/11/official-nikon-d3x-specs-its-here-folks.html

So it's (e.g.) a bit below what you'd get with a D300 using the same sensor area and magnification, but quite possibly 'good enough' (in practice, this will depend on how high ISO performance etc. compares with the DX cameras).