Best material to replace the red windows on the old camers

<p>This is a question that probably would apply to many owners of the old cameras. But, what is the best material to replace the red windows on roll film cameras? The red reflective tape for car taillights? Old gel filter?(Maybe a 25?) What do most people use? I have several, pre 1920 cameras mostly, where the old material was too faded and brittle.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>The gel filter is probably too delicate. Some people use ruby lith, but it has the same problem.</p>

<p>Since the red color doesn't actually do anything to block light from modern films, the only real purpose is to lower the amount of light going into the camera so it has less chance to fog the film. Because of this a 3 stop ND would work fine. Stage lighting gels work fine because they are very tough. If you want to retain the look of the red window, you can use a dark red one. One huge problem is that gels come in 2' squares. Generally a couple lifetime supply for camera windows. But if you contact the distributors, you can request a swatch book. The swatches are big enough for around 4 windows.</p>

<p>Best to use a piece of black tape to cover the window when you aren't advancing the film to reduce the chance of fogging the film.</p>

<p>Experiment with different shades of red transparency. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some way of covering the window except when winding film. If I'm not mistaken the red window dates back to when films where orthochromatic (no red sensitivity) and there was no worry about fogging. The frame numbers on the backing paper will be exposed onto panchromatic film even through a red window.</p>

<p>I have left the existing, faded, red lens in place and stuck red liitho tape on the inside to give the colour without affecting the outside appearance of the camera.<br>

Regarding the ortho question, I started photography in the late 1950s and my Brownie 127 and later Kodak 44a both had red windows and a notice inside to use Verichrome Pan - I think the issue is thinner backing paper not the red window. Instamatic 126 and 110 cartridges used both colour and B&W film protected by only the backing paper with no filter in the rear door of the camera at all. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>One huge problem is that gels come in 2' squares. Generally a couple lifetime supply for camera windows. But if you contact the distributors, you can request a swatch book. The swatches are big enough for around 4 windows.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Or go to a local theatre and ask for a small piece.</p>

<p>Mike Gammill, you're right, with modern films you have to worry about light getting round the backing paper. The color of the window is of less consequence these days. Keeping the window covered between winding is the main thing.<br>

I've replaced the red window on my Kodak No.2 Box Brownie by cutting a square piece from CD jewel-case and using a red magic marker to color it red. I then painted along the edges of plastic square with black paint to minimize then chance of light refraction.<br>

To finish it off I use some black velcro to cover up the window.</p>