woundering if this is a good deal

ambers-photos

A friend at work has ask me if i would be interested in his fathers camera gear and i dont know anything about

canon film equipment i tried to look up some of the items but was still a little confused he said all was in

excellent condition and was being used just before he bought his new nikon this month here is the list canon AE-1

program body with power winder 2 vivitar lenses 28mm f2.8 and 70-210mm f4.5 and a vivitar 2x-4 tele converter a

vivitar auto thyristor flash 3700 a remote flash cable and a canon 50mm f1.8 i just typed it here like he has

it written so sorry if somethings not right but hes asking $125 for all thank you for your help

Amber

Go for it, if you like film. Ive just bought a Canon A1 with a 28/2.8 lens for about 90 GBP and will get a 50/1.4 in the future.

If you search on ebay for the individual lenses, you will get an idea of their price. Each one, even now the prices have crashed would be 30-80 each (UK pounds). But it all depends if you want to shoot film, if you do then its well worth the money, if thats what you're asking.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

$125 is probably a decent deal, but I personally would probably offer $100.

The two Vivitar lenses I'm sure are alright, but really aren't worth much. Besides that, the real Canon lenses are so cheap anymore that there's no reason not to use them(except for the lenses that have no Canon equivalent, like an 80-200mm 2.8). KEH, one of the top used camera retailers, has the 28mm for $12 in EX+ condition(which like like new or mint by most peoples standards), and the 70-210 for $3 in bargain condition(what most would consider excellent) The same is true for the teleconverter, which you can expect to be pretty bad optically(the -4 means that it's four elements, really too few), and which KEH sells for $3 in EX+ condition.

A good AE-1 body would be worth $50-75, and a 50mm 1.8 $25 at the absolute most, and more realistically probably $10-20. If the power winder is a Power Winder A, it's worth a few dollars(KEH has them starting a $5), whereas a Power Winder A2 might be worth $15-20.

The AE-1 is a very capable camera for learning how to use film. Being able to hold the camera in your hands before buying means something. Although the $125 asking price is probably more than I would pay, if you feel like you would be happy with it for that price, go ahead and grab it.

Looks like a terrific deal if everything works. Get yourself a manual right away on one of the old camera manual sites, like butkus.org, so you don't screw up the camera doing something "bass ackwards". In fact, read the manual online before you download it, and commit to the deal, that way you'll be better prepared. I think you'll have a blast.

I would have to agree with Ben, $125 is not a bad deal but, it's no bargain either. The AE1 is probably the most

common Canon FD SLR sold on the auction sites, and can be had for $35 on up, depending on accesories. I would

offer $100, and then go buy some Canon lenses to go with it. Unless the vivitar lenses say series one then they

aren't worth much.

I think the price is reasonable for an AE-1 Program which has more features than the AE-1 and is generally considered more desirable than an AE-1. This assumes everything is in full working order and in good condition cosmetically. If there is a squealing or squeaking sound when you trip the shutter, the camera may need to be cleaned, lubricated and adjusted (CLA).

A lot will depend on the condition of the mirror dampener. If the shutter when you trip it has a coughy whessy sound at the end of the cycle then the Camera is due for a Clean Lube and Adjust which will run from $65.00 to $125.00 depending on who you have do the work. You should factor this in to your decision.

BUT one thing to keep in mind is ANY SLR of this age should have a tune up (CLA) in order to be working it's best.

Ben is spot on about the lenses the 28mm f2.8 is better then the slow zoom, Use it all to learn the camera and decide how far you want to go with your investment and come here and we can help you chose the best optics for your budget.

I would look at it this way

Buying your buddies outfit $100.00

having the body tuned up $100.00

Buying a Canon 28mm f2.8 maybe $30.00

Buying a Canon 100mm f2.8 maybe $75.00

Buying a Canon 200mm f4.0 maybe $60.00

(all of the above lenses if you buy the same series will use the same size filters which is nice)

OR if you want to stay with a zoom the Canon 70-210mm f4.0 can be had for under $80.00 in very nice shape

no real need for the doubler for now.

The Canon 177A or 188A would be a better flash and dirt cheap on eBay Maybe $35.00 for either.

I paid $50 for a T-70 (more modern, but not really as good) with the 35-70 kit lens and a very nice 100-300 Sigma

zoom, along with lots of "stuff". I agree $125 is probably a bit high. Fair price would be more like $100.

The AE-1 Program is a nice camera -- very ergonomic -- very popular in its day. I consider it very collectable,

because it was a cornerstone in 1970's SLR technology.

Just understand that you can buy a more modern SLR for not much more than that. If you buy an Canon EOS

camera outfilt (as compared to the FD outfit you're considering), then you can use the same lenses for a digital EOS

body if you decide to go that route. I recently bought a very nice EOS 1n camera body -- a 1-generation outdated

professional body -- for only $185. You can pick up a new 50mm f/1.8 lens for less than $100, and there are a lot of

28-135 IS lenses available used for a couple or three hundred. If that's too much money, you can also pick up an

older/humbler EOS system for much less. For instance, a Rebel G with zoom sold recently on Ebay for about $60.

(I'd post the link for your convenience, but PhotoNet won't let me.) And if you want a great digital bargain, right out of

the box, the Nikon D40 is only $500, with 18-55mm lens.