Why I'm thankful for cameras

mark_sam

Just a Thanksgiving thought. I'm not a professional photographer. I once tried and made a few bucks. I'm fortunate to make a living

elsewhere and have a little money to buy decent equipment. I shoot for fun. I've shot for years, did some weddings, events for money, but

discovered that I actually preferred using pro's trying to make a living and paying them a fair wage. When I wanted to be a "pro" I found myself

noticing that their are so many talented photographers and when I compared my pictures with so many that seemed better, it discouraged me

and I lost enjoyment doing it. SO, what I've discovered is that I find the greatest enjoyment shooting pictures without telling my neighbors, etc

of their kids at their ball games, swimming pools, dance recitals and then printing them a few of the better ones. These are people who can't

and won't hire it done. It's just "daily living" memories. I am very aware of the concerns of privacy,etc. I give them the pictures with a CD and

for several years I have rediscovered the "joy" of shooting again. I'll leave the pro's to do the award winners. I just like seeing happy little kids

when they see their pictures. So, I am grateful for the digital revolution and the good things it can do. I appreciate all of your wisdom and help

when I need to turn to the experts. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I've got some amazing photo's of somebody's cat from up the block: this big orange striped male cat, who come over for a visit to our yard every once in a while, putting our 2 fleabags totally on the defensive. To this day we're not sure *who's* cat it is, but if we find out, I'll be giving them a CD surprise.

Hmm, when I look back through the decades and decades of pictures of my wife and children and friends, I too am *very* thankful for cameras!

All the best to you on the (US) Thanksgiving. In Canada we had our's already: some nonsense about earlier harvest, not that I noticed ;)

I'm grateful for digital (saved me tens of thousands of dollars in processing), I'm grateful for film (getting a

new pano camera next week), grateful for photo.net (starting my 11th year here), grateful for the places that

photography has taken me (nothing like spraining an ankle at a French extreme sports comp and trying to

communicate with the medics), Im grateful for my job here at photo.net (I work from home and see my son all day

every day), and I'm grateful for every memory and happy time I have been lucky enough to capture with my camera.

While it's frustrating some days and there is much to depress you if you let it, life is very good. I'm a happy

man and photography has a lot to do with that.

I'm grateful for photography in my life. I have memories of myself and my kids when they were young and in soapy

bubble baths to look back upon with pleasure. Places I have been where I sweated to carry my camera as I climbed

with a pole and backpack to the Sunrise Station on Fujiyama. And glad I did. I am grateful for the internet and

digital which makes a photo shareable with the whole world, well lots of it anyway. And to Photo Net where I have

hung around for,can it be, over ten years. I used to seek out the few photographers that were serious about

photography and had to strain to find a workshop or photo show back in the pre-web days. After all, I live 2500

miles from what people still refer to as the ' States.' Yes, we are the fiftieth but we are still "overseas." I

joined a few camera clubs and didn't discover much sparks there. PN is a camera club of the world. And it is just

great to know that there are others who look at this craft or art as something worth discussing. And that we are

all contributing to something that is beyond politics and race and that spans distance and cultures. It may sound

hokey, but it is a family. And this is a nice time to say 'mahalo' for the photo net family.

Mahalo.

When my Daughter was in high school, she played both field hockey, and lacrosse. I was always the Dad on the side lines with his trusty old srt-101, and the 70-210 Series One lens. I would spend the game cheering the team on, and burning up at least 2 rolls if film. I would always have the prints ready for the next game to give to the parents or the players. It was always nice to see the gratitude on their faces.

Good thoughts, Mark. I saw an article once about a guy who visited nursing homes, and, with permission, of course, did some remarkable portraits ( think black and white) of the residents. The nursing home staff displayed them, and of course, the families of the residents had a precious memory of their loved ones. I bet he gets great satisfaction from that.