G10 looks and feels better than XSI

juans eye

I just held my buddy's brand new Canon G10. Knurled metal control knobs, three of them on top. Textured

composite body. Great weight. Real time live view with focusing,animated meters on screen and 50D like thumb

wheel.

After paying twice the cost of a G10, I wondering why I couldn't get the same execution :(

/bing

Well for starters take some shots in low light with the G10. You will get more noise at ISO 400 and up. Also no ability to

switch lenses along with a small sensor that will not deliver the same DOF you can achieve with the XSi. But yes the G10

looks very nice. I plan to get one for some trips I have planned where I don't want to carry my SLR set up. Very cool that

you can use a speedlight with it as well

Have a look at the test over at dpreview and you'll see that this is yet another camera that should have had fewer pixels. Quote: "The G10 leaves that lingering question. Just how good could this camera have been, had Canon taken a more conservative approach to resolution and put as much effort into optimising image quality as it did into making such an impressive camera body?"

I owned and loved a G9, which I took to China last year and made hundereds of images. It was a great camera to 'hold", and not heavy or cumbersome. But as I am also a full frame Canon 5D user who is spoiled with the high quality images made with that DSLR, I found I had little patience with the G9's frequently blown out highlights and noise (at ISO of 400 or higher), due to the very small image sensor. As a result, I sold the G9, and upon my more recent China trip, carried around the 5D. My images on this second trip are just so much better. In conclusion, I would say the G9 or G10 is a great camera for someone taking birthday type photos and developing consumer quality 4" by 6" prints. But if someone told me to go travel abroad and take either a G10 or the XSI, I would take the XSI without hesitation.

If you value image quality then a DSLR is the way to go. I'd rather have a plastic DSLR with good IQ than a

camera such as the G10 as my main shooter. Small sensors simply cannot produce the same sort of IQ larger ones

can, no matter how fancy the box is that holds it. The feel and look of a camera is one thing, the quality of its

images is another. On the other hand my son has a G9 and uses it in preference to his 300D, mainly because of

compactness. In the end it really depends on your priorities and the inherent compromises that go with it.

Check out the DPReview review of the G10 - they also compare it to the 1000D here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/

Cheers, Bob

I think the original poster does raise a good point. I would think there would be a good market for and small XSi sized dslr with the form factor of the G9/G10. It seems a lot of attention is giving to styling pojnts and shoots to make them feel solid and nice to hold. The XSi on the other hand reeks of being built to a plastic price.

While the 40D/50D have a nice metal shell they are too big, expensive and too intimidating for many. A suspect an XSi sized camera with the build of an Elan 7 would be a winner for Canon.

The G10 is Canon's "luxury" point 'n shoot. The XSi is their budget DSLR, so comparing build quality and materials is kinda

silly. If you want the build quality of the G10 in a DSLR, buy a 40D. With a small prime or zoom and sans the BG-E2 grip

it's a really small but solid package. Yeah, it's a little bigger than a XSi but I find the XSi too small to comfortably hold and

my fingernail keeps banging into the lens...

Some of you old farts might recall the EOS IXE of 1995 (APS): brushed stainless body in a petite body. Now that form

factor would make a fine "luxury" featherweight DSLR.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

It's interesting to see the pages in the dpreview review where they compare the Rebel XS (1000) to the G10

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/page20.asp and the next two.

At 80/100 ISO the G10 is actually slightly better

At ISO 400 the G10 is clearly worse

At ISO 1600 the G10 is a joke

That, along with the lack of depth-of-field, is the main IQ difference.

My own preference is to have a DSLR plus a truly small P&S like the SD990 (probably the same internals as the G10) or SD880

Question about depth of field: I keep seeing depth of field being mentioned as a reason to us a DSLR rather than a small-sensor point and shoot camera. Do those of you who make these comments actually mean the SHALLOWER depth of field of the DSLR?

According to basic physics, if we hold f-stop and field of view constant the depth of field is actually larger for the camera with the smaller image sensor, not the one with the larger image sensor.

Puppy face hit it on the nose. The G10 is the top of the line point and shoot. The XSi is the entry level DSLR.

Now the major difference is sensor size between the two. G10 is designed as a good snap shot camera you carry

everywhere. It let you take very good picture without having to think too hard. Something to take to birthday parties and

travel etc.

The XSi is a DSLR that in the proper hands can create nice images. Unfortunately the kit lens is nowhere near the

capacity of the camera. The sensor size on the XSi is also bigger so you can dial up the ISO and shoot without flash in

more situation than the G10. The shutter lag as mentioned is also a lot quicker on the XSi unless you are in low light and

the auto focus started to hunt.

Over all the XSi is a much better camera with room to grow.

"Puppy face hit it on the nose. The G10 is the top of the line point and shoot. The XSi is the entry level DSLR. "

You guys need to stop smoking Canon brochures. The 40D is a discontinued camera that still sells for $ 870. The proper comparison for the G10 is actually the 50D since both are newly released. Between both cameras, the difference is $ 550 and thats the 50D without a lens. The G10 and the 50D have the same build quality. Now, remember, I'm only talking about build here. Luxury or not, the XSI is higher in the range and IMHO deserves a better build. I do believe that Canon decided to skimp the build and make the most money out of their entry level DSLR, which is the best seller anyway.

Althought I am already taking your combined wisdom with a grain of salt, I'd still like to check other cameras in the Canon range to. Hmmmmm, the Powershot SX10IS that sells for $ 330 has the same 50D type thumb wheel and a knurled metal knob on top but with an XSI like plastic body! Shocking. For 400 hundred dollars less, I can still buy a better build from Canon, than the $ 700 XSI. Actually, I'd have to go down to the $ 150 Powershot A580IS to get the same crappy build and the same crappy plastic knob.

There is no question the XSI is the better digital camera. But my opinion on the matter is I'm stuck looking at a VW GTI while I drive a Hyundai with a BMW engine. I may just start smoking the brochures too.

Ha ha ha. Great post Juan!

I don't ming Canon offering a budget model, which is actually the 1000D, but for many people the 450D is not just the entry level but the only level. DSLRs are also getting to the point where they are more keepers than disposable. I'm just thinking Canon is missing out on a market by giving the 450D a disposable build, when so many P&Ss are built around nice metalic form factor.

I love shooting with an SLR, whether film or digital. I love the control it allows me and the resulting freedom in image composition and exposure. I must admit, however, that there have been a few times when I've wished I had a decent P&S like the G10 in my pocket instead of a dSLR hanging conspicuously round my neck ;)

The main reason you just can't compare the IQ of a Canon D-SLR to the G10 is that the Canon D-SLR's use a CMOS sensor,

whereas the G10 and other similar high end P&S cams use a CCD sensor. The CMOS sensor is the key to the smooth, low-noise

images produced by Canon's high end cameras.

Canon has just release the sister to the SX10, called the SX1. This very interesting P&S uses a CMOS sensor and takes full HD

video! Unfortunately, it is not being sold in the USA...

it's a great observation juan. you'll find in general, that good photographers use whatever camera is available and know that it is the camera used and not the one sitting on the shelf or in the camera bag, that gets the image and is the better camera. lesser photographers still learning ... generally sit on forums debating the merits of CMOS and CCD, or the absurdities of gauging camera performance on their professional aspirations of printing four-foot prints at ISO3200.

having said that, my G10 is on the UPS truck and should be delivered within the hour .. so perhaps I am unduly biased.

for many types of photography, I think the large DSLR and intimidating lenses are a burden and detract from the chances of getting that great image. you get a sense of it on the street .. where I see tourists with their 1Ds's and 70-200mm lens strung around their necks ... almost paralyzed, and the young girl with just a G10 unobtrusively finding the opportunities and the better image. sure .. when they all return to the workshop they can boast about lack of chroma noise and corner resolution ... where the young girl blows the doors off their 'perfect' images, with poignant images that no one knew she was taking.

sorry .. this is a trend I find disturbing - when the hardware trumps emotion.

daniel taylor

[[You guys need to stop smoking Canon brochures. The 40D is a discontinued camera that still sells for $ 870.]]

Speaking of doing drugs, you should perhaps tell Canon that they discontinued the 40D. According to them the 50D does not replace the 40D.

Read the first line here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

[[. But my opinion on the matter is I'm stuck looking at a VW GTI while I drive a Hyundai with a BMW engine.]]

And so the true nature of the post comes out: "I want a status symbol, not a camera."

[[The XSi is their budget DSLR]]

Actually, the Canon Xs is their budget DSLR.

[[but I find the XSi too small to comfortably hold and my fingernail keeps banging into the lens... ]]

Puppy, you don't need to grow your pinkie nail long any more. They have little tools to hold what you need... :P

[[A suspect an XSi sized camera with the build of an Elan 7 would be a winner for Canon.]]

This conclusions comes after you've used an XSi, right?

" you'll find in general, that good photographers use whatever camera is available and know that it is the camera used and not the one sitting on the shelf or in the camera bag, that gets the image and is the better camera."

My sentiments exactly Daniel. I have an Agfa Isolette medium format folder camera that I restored from scratch. (google juan trinidad agfa isolette restore camera, i wrote a restoration tutorial) Its not perfect, sucks with corner focus, but produces pictures with mucho mucho character. No meter and full manual. I love using it.

Too many read this thread as a G10 and XSI IQ comparison. They are missing the fact that the issue here is the discrepancy between the camera construction relative to their costs. Somebody even mentions that I want a status symbol. Far from it, I wouldve bought by 1D MIII if thats what I wanted. But I'd rather be worrying about taking a good pic than having my $ 8000 stolen from me.

Regards to all,

/bing

Everything about the G10 is good if you like taking photographs. If you like looking at your photographs then don't bother. It's image quality is poor like most other compacts. The Lumix LX3 beats it hands down for image quality and costs less. Still, don't expect anything remotely close to dSLR quality from either of them. If Canon did the sensible thing and made the G10 with a 6MP sensor, professionals would be queueing up for them 24 hours a day. Instead, at 14MP, the G10 is only going to attract amateurs and megapixel fanatics that know no better.

Aperture priority on compacts is also good for a laugh. Set an aperture of f2.8 and you get similar depth of field as you do at f11 because of the puny sensor size. So what's the point?

Canon, get serious and make something along the lines of Sigma's DP1 but with better handling and working AF. Then you'll have to build a new factory to cope with the demand.

well Jamie .. my new G10 must be a lemon. I received it yesterday, and though I own Linhof' 4x5, Hasselblads, and way too many Canon film and DSLR's .. I am knocked-out by this little camera. the image quality is well within expectations, and the layout and feature set is stellar. what I like about this camera, and as I mentioned before, in instances where a modicum of stealth can make the real difference between the image taken and the image not-taken, is how beautifully engineered it is. built-in Image Stabilization, Live view, a gorgeous LCD, no lens-cap, dedicated exposure-compensation and ISO setting knobs, movie-mode, diopter (though no use required with the bodacious LCD), small, light-weight, beautiful built. in black and miniature enough to be a great street-camera ... and then of all things, it has an underwater-case option that is quite affordable.

honestly, I don't see much difference between my G10 and 40D images. no differences that are deal-breaking. noise at high-ISO when I use it underwater? you bet, but I love that look. check out Ryuijie's Kanchi underwater series.I am thrilled to be able to use the G10 in conditions and situations where I might not feel comfortable with the 40D and 28-70mm. then again, as I said, I would rather be looking at a lesser-quality image in Photoshop, than the perfect one that was never taken.

G10 - five stars.

daniel taylor