Where to start? Some tweaking is definetely needed!

nico_lilien

The day before yesterday the first snow fell, my back yard suddenly turned white and my leafless cherry tree got a

visitor.

Afraid to scare him I rushed to get my gear and hastily shot one photo before he disappeared. I was surprised as it

turned out way better then expected. Even when you consider I shot through the window.

For this reason I think it is worth tweaking, but where to start?

Many thanks in advance!

Nico

Some technical background: Canon 10D; tripod; 300 mm; 1/3 s; F 5.60; Manual; Auto WB; Contrast - Normal;

Saturation - High , +1; Sharpness - Normal;ISO 100; Evaluative metering; Focus type - Auto; Manual AF point

selection<div>00RbYL-92013784.jpg.5ae3154f00ce152457d13c8972b2a0aa.jpg</div>

It's WAY over-exposed. Start by bringing up the black point. You don't say what software you're using, but in Lightroom or ACR, you'd bring up the blacks until the histogram reaches the left edge. In Photoshop, you'd slide the left arrow under the Levels control to the point where the histogram starts.

Automatic defringing control should work pretty well on the purple fringing, if your software has it.

Hope you shot raw!<div>00Rbdb-92049584.jpg.55de6f3ed798ac4dd9026ffa6630017b.jpg</div>

One suggestion, next time you try a shot a like this, is to not use automatic White Balance on the camera, but set the WB to match your lighting. For example, if its sunny outside, set WB setting to "Sunny", if its cloudy, set WB to "Cloudy". If your subject is in the shade, set WB to "Shade", and so forth. Keeping the WB setting matched to your actual lighting can result in more truer color tones in the resulting digital picture.

Also, check your camera manual, to see what it says to do when you take pictures in very bright scene, like an all white snow background. Most digital cameras have special modes for "Snow/Beach" Scenes, and these modeas adjust the exposure meter to compensate for the extra brightness levels found in snow or beach shoots.

Many thanks, helpful suggestions!

I remember underexposing half a stop. The fact that the bird still had some contrast, showing its feathers and color surprised me. Moving the histogram sliders helped a lot (thanks for this tip).

I currently use PS Elements 2.0 and will move to Lightroom because of the many recommendations found here. There is no defringing option in Elements 2.0...

A good friend helped my by adding 2 layers and selectively modifying each. This reduced most of the fringes.

No I did not shoot RAW as Elements 2.0 won't open these...

You're right cloudy WB was perhaps better as the light was very evenly distributed due to the snow fakes in the air.

Again, many thanks! Nico<div>00Rcw0-92721584.jpg.ffa55b47534128ae63654bb2f09ca4d4.jpg</div>