One / Two More Tripod Questions

chris_andro

Thanks for the help in my last post.

After reading the answers, and a visit to a few shops, I narrowed it down to one of two Manifrotto tripods. Please

share your thoughts on these two questions:

1. How important is it for the center post to be able to go horizontal?

2. For use with D70s & D300 (largest lens 70-200 / 2.8) & small video camera, how are Grip Ball Heads like the

Manifrotto 322RC2 which also pan?

Thanks again in advance.

-Chris

To my way of thinking, point one is up to you and your type of photography. For me, having an easy way to use a horizontal center post is a non-issue, as that isn't the kind of photography I do. I can't comment much on point two, other than to say that I use a Markins ball head, which I find to be much more stable than the Manfrotto I used to use.

Chris,

A reversible centre post is useful if you want to get your camera much closer to ground level for macro work and maybe for

wide angle / perspective driven landscapes. It means of course that you have your camera upside down which makes

setting adjustments a total pain, not to mention trying to use the optical prism viewfinder (LiveView might be a bonus here)

I've heard that the 322 RC 2 pistol grip ball system works OK for it's rated weight load but I opted out of buying one and went

for a more trad. ball head set up. The pistol grip ball maybe of some use to your video cam panning - maybe not? I don't

like the idea of a plastic pot handle poking out from the tripod pivot - guess it's just what I'm used to that sets precedence my

bias towards the more conventional ball head with tensioning knobs.

As Fred and Matthew stated for the first question, I have to agree, it just depends on if you find yourself needing to point

toward the ground and not have the tripod legs in the shot. Personally, I have never needed such a thing. For your second

question, a pistol grip ball head is a very convenient thing to have for still photography, but for video, it might not work so

well for panning. When you pan with a ball head, the head is opened up to move in all directions, so keeping the camera

level while panning may require a lot of effort. A traditional three handle pivoting head may be better for video. However, if

you get the pistol grip head, you may be able to get used to controlling camera movements in only one direction and it may

become less of an issue over time. Hope this helps.

I have a Manfrotto 190XproB. The center post has the ability to be positioned horizontal. I tried it once. Unless you put a 5 or 10 pound weight on the other end, the whole thing will tip over. I've never dared use the center post horizontally since my first examination of it. But that's just me.

An horizontal column is not particularly useful. I have a Benbo, but find a conventional tripod works nearly as well. If you have a short (stub) column or flat plate, you can spread the legs horizontally and get very close to the ground.

Inverting the column to get close to the ground is a myth - oft repeated but seldom done (twice, anyway). If the column is inverted, one of the legs is either in front of the lens or blocking the viewfinder. The only useful function is to facilitate copying documents placed on the floor, and there are better ways to copy documents.

Pistol grip heads are worse than useless. The holding power is very weak, since it is controlled by spring tension only and the ball is very small. Since the ball is at the bottom, the leverage is very high if you tip the camera vertically. You can't adapt an Arca-style QR system, and nothing else works as well. Finally, it is very hard to make fine adjustments to the composition, since the head is either completely loose or (somewhat) tight in actual use.

The only head suitable for video is a video head - two-way with fluid pand and tilt motion and a spring

counterbalance.

Most ball heads have a separate pan control (for horizontal motion). The best use for a good ball head (read "expensive") is to partly tighten the ball so you can move it for composition yet have it hold reasonably well. You only lock the head when you have to take your hands off the camera. Bad (read "cheap") ball heads (including all pistol grip heads) exhibit so much slip-stick action you can't position the camera accurately under partial tension.

I just have a comment on the horizontal center post.

I did a landscape project a while back, using the Manfrotto 190XPROB and 486RC2 compact ball head, along with my D300 + MB-D10 and many lenses.

I found the horizontal option to be extremely useful in odd mounting situations. eg: railings, steep slopes and river beds.

1. Railings. As not to lean the whole tripod over the railing to view a valley or river, just mount the tripod as normal, and hang the camera on it's verical center post over the railing looking down or whereever. I was worried about the whole kit 'n kaboodle going over, but i remedied that by either placing one leg in front, and two behind, or when not possible: two in front, one behind with my camera bag on top of the hind leg.

2. Steep slopes. Getting the angle just right is key, and i found myself using the horizontal center post quite a few times on weird angled slopes in the valley. Use trees or rocks to make sure it doesn't topple.

3. Riverbed. Oh yes, to get as low as possible the waters surface for really nice long exposures... mmmm, pop it out, make the legs do their horizontal thang, and i think i remember getting almost 10 inches from the waters surface to get a really nice shot. Just make sure you have good rocks in those waters to mount on.

:)

Adding to the above, the need for a horizontal centerpost is amplified if you have a 3-way head and a quick release that does not mount backwards. In that case, you cannot shoot straight up. If you don't mind the weight and the added cost, there's no disadvantage to it. The clamp holds the column just as tightly, perhaps even better, when it's vertical.

I have never tried the pistol grip so I cannot comment. Bogen makes good products so it would surely work within the weight limits advertised. The center column being used horizontal is not critical, but I think I use mine mostly when shooting small objects on the kitchen table. It allows me to get the camera over the table edge. If I did not have that feature I would not lose any sleep over it, however I do use it from time to time..The one feature I do use a lot is the legs going out wide..Sometimes when shooting landscape I cannot find a solid footing for all three legs so I will move one leg out quite a bit to a rock or something and then shorten the other two..I love that feature..I actually really love my Bogen tripod but it's kind of heavy for long hikes. Sometimes I leave it at home and take a mini bogen and sometimes I will put a sling on it and hike all day with it. Depends on my goals.

Not sure if Edward is just frothing but the Manfrotto 322RC2 is a complete redesign of the 222 and offers far better stability and grip. Its grip tension is fully adjustable up to pit bull clench strength with no slip in my experience. Like most Manfrotto products, it's well-made and supplies good value. FYI, Chris, it doesn't pan.

>Do any ball heads offers a pan only option? > You could simply lock the ball and fully loosen the pano- lever on the head. The better medium and large ballheads will have a separate pano-lock/tensioning lever. Recommendations...see Gitzo G1277, G1377 or Really Right Stuff BH-40 or BH-55. The 1277 and 40 are adequate for your 70-200/2.8. The 1377 and 55 have greater capacity for bigger lenses, e.g. 400/2.8.

Well, there is one possibility that you can try to do a pan only movement with a locked ball head. Simply unscrew the head

a couple of turns from where it mounts to the tripod and you will be able to rotate it 360 degrees without unlocking the ball

head. Hopefully the threads will be tight enough so the head doesn't wobble, but with Bogen products, I am sure this would

not be an issue. This way you could kill two stones with one bird and not have to get separate heads for video and for

photo. The only issue might be is that unless the camera is absolutely level, it may want to rotate to one side if you let go

of it. That would greatly depend on the weight of the camera and the tightness of the threads. You could take your camera

to a store that has this type of tripod setup and try it to see if it will work for you.