Becoming a 2nd Shooter/Apprentice

amy_west2

I'm just starting out, and I'd like to become a 2nd Shooter for someone (preferably who can also mentor me and teach

me the trade). I'm not sure how to go about this. I need to build my portfolio and my goal is to be on my own in 6

months or so. Any thoughts?

Amy, I don't know how to become a 2nd shooter for someone. You might ask around, check with local photographers.

The only way to build your portfolio is to take pictures, lots of pictures. Learn your camera and the kinds of pictures you like

taking and looking at. Even if you don't like the pictures, you'll learn from having taken them.

Good luck!

Amy:

become a second shooter is a responsibility because you will be doing work for someone else.

If you are starting, there is a lot to learn first. I would suggest you to READ AND STUDY as much as you can.... Find

books, buy books, ask questions in forums like this one... You could make a list of people working in your area, search

for their websites.. study their works, their styles.. then try to get ant appointment with them.

To be a beginner, six month to build a portfolio and be at your own sounds like a little bit rushed, keep your spirit but be

realistic. Build a GOOD REPUTATION UP can takes many-many years of patience learning until master your technique

and own style... Kick a reputation down can just take a little bit of time... so, look someone willing to mentor you, begin

since the beginning and enjoy the trip of learning and discovery... I am sure a GOOD PORTFOLIO will arose as

consequence of your hard work and dedication.

Best

JC

>I need to build my portfolio and my goal is to be on my own in 6 months or so. Any thoughts? <

Knowing the people and the getting face to face meetings.

Which means: two good pairs of shoes; neat presentation; firm handshake, polite manner; willingness to take on any position in any related field to Photography; lots of persistence.

Shooting on speculation a wide range of subjects yourself, and then selling to as many various outlets as possible.

Completing a Practical Photography Course - which teaches the Technical Basics - and Lighting.

Completing a Practical Business Course, which includes management and people skills.

WW