REbel XTi vs 50D

murraymike

I currently have been using a Rebel XTi to shoot mostly indoors, my daughters basketball games and the like. In the

darkest of gyms I have been using the 1.8 - 50 lens, 1600 ISO and have to reduce the shutter speed to 320 or 250 to

get enough light. I also have tried my 2.8 - 70/200 but it seems darker/worse in these situations. Should mention I

never use flash.

I'm wondering if upgrading the camera to something like the Canon 50D would help anything. I know it has higher

ISO's available, which would allow me to raise the shutter speed to 400? to better freeze the action. But I'm thinking

the higher ISO will make the pictures more pixelley?

My goal is to be able to print them some nice 4 x 6's or 5 x 7's, nothing real big required.

Are there other advantages to the 50D that I'm missing that would improve the picture quality or low light

performance... (reading between the lines, I would love an excuse to upgrade)

Mike

I use my 20D at ISO 1600 almost consistently for indoor sport - with correct initial exposure, correct post production

sharpening I get adequate 10 x 8 prints - certainly very good consistent 5 x 7 prints

I also have access to a 400D (XTi). and I have used this camera extensively.

I have not used a 50D, but, on paper it performs better than the 20D at equivalent ISO3200.

IMO, the 50D will allow you better, High ISO performance than your XTi.

There are other benefits too, for indoor sports shooting comparing all the xxD series to the xxxD series of cameras.

One point I suggest you do consider is the ``upgrading``?

I suggest you look at the value of the XTi in your kit compared to what you get for it as a sale: I find the 35/F2 and

the 85/F1.8 are excellent mates for a fast 50mm Prime when working inside School Gymnasia.

WW

> and the weather sealing <

I understand that none of the xxD series are weather sealed - yea / nay ?

I understand the 40D has a better weather protection / seal, on the battery door & battery compartment. This was an enhancement from the 30D - this might be what is being referenced: which should not to be confused with weather sealing, as what is on the 1 series Bodies, and some L lenses.

WW