Telephoto zoom lens question

michael_rooney1

My girlfriend is an avid photographer and has a Canon Rebel XTI. She's been wanting a telephoto zoom lens for

rather significant distance focusing for quite some time now. I am far from an expert on any camera and I

obviously don't want to go to her for the question, because it's going to be her Christmas gift. Please give me

recommendations on what lenses would be best for me to purchase. I'm not very rich, I was looking for something

in the $300 or less range (the less, the better, but I don't care to sacrifice too much quality). Recommendations?

The 55-250mm IS has gotten good reviews: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/194-canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-test-report--review

I also vote for the "Gift Certificate" - if she could find an extra $160 to add to your $300 gift, she could step up to the mid-level and get the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for about $460: http://www.adorama.com/CA70300ISNR.html That's a much nicer lens on many counts: mechanical, optical, and focus-speed - among others.

It would be very helpful if we knew just what she planned to use it for. For instance, most bird photographers start in the 400mm area and migrate to 600 mm or longer...however these lenses usually aren't very good for sports work. If she's shooting in low light there will be a different set of requirements than bright sunlight. Some telephotos, due to weight, length, or focal length really need a tripod to get clear shots. Does she need something really weather-resistant or just ok in inclement weather? I know this doesn't answer your question, but having more details can result in more meaningful recommendations.

<p>Steve P, <i>The Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM IS, IMO, is not a good lens. It's slow and goes very soft after 200

mm</i>.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/200-canon-ef-70-300mm-f4-56-usm-is-test-report--review">Photozone's

review</a> is much more favorable than yours:<br>

<ul>In the lab the effect of the new design became pretty obvious with surprisingly high resolution figures

throughout the range. In fact the data was so impressive that I was already wondering whether I had mixed up the

RAW files with a (supposedly) better lens.</ul></p>

<p>I don't own the lens, so I can't comment based on first-hand experience, but a number of my friends and

colleagues speak very favorably about the lens and it's value, especially compared with canon's prior 75-300mm

IS.</p>

hey michael I too use a 400d. when I was just starting I had NOOOO clue about equipment. f what you know. I bought all the low end accessories because I did have enough gumption to see that I was going to need a flash and a zoom lens. I bought the EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III from canon. at most stores I've seen it for under 280.00 so think about it. I have pleasing results from my experience. for a STARTER lens this is fine but as she gets better the lens will not meet your needs long term.

Steve P wrote "The Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 USM IS, IMO, is not a good lens. It's slow and goes very soft after 200 mm."

Um, my experience with my Xti and that lens has been the opposite. I am constantly amazed at the quality I get - all the way to 300mm. Indeed, at 200mm, it compares very favorably to the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and the Canon 100-400 IS both of which I have used.

Possibly Steve P. had a bad copy?

NEVER buy a lens, camera or accessory as a gift for a photographer unless they have given you a specific model number and sat there with you at the computer (or in the camera store) while you bought it. We photographers are very specific about what we need and want. There are many, many makes and models of each specific type of lens let alone a broad category like "telephoto lens." Camera store salesmen may try to tell you that Lens A is "just like" Lens B but there is no such thing as "just like." If you buy something for your friend without letting her stand there and pick it out, there is a nine out of 10 chance that it will be the wrong thing. If you're lucky, she will tell you so and make you return it. More likely she will try not to hurt your feelings, accept the lens and then be unhappy with it and ultimately have to go buy the right thing anyhow. It's not romantic but I would offer to give her the $300 toward the cost of whatever lens she picks out and let her pay the rest. $300 is a lot of money, of course, but it's at the bottom end of what a "telephoto zoom lens for rather significant distance focusing" can cost. A 70-200 or 80-200 2.8 is a standard lens that would meet that description, but they start at about $800 even for a third-party Sigma or Tamron, and more for the Canon lens she would probably prefer.

I recently bought an EFS 55 - 250mm F4.0- F5.6 IS, as a gift, for use on a 400D, and as a mate for the Standard

Zoom Kit Lens. (18 to 55)

IMO, for the price, the 55 to 250 is fast enough to perform well in daylight for a range of outdoor sports and general

telephoto photography over that general range of distances. The IS works well. In summary an excellent value for

money, budget telephoto zoom lens, for use on an XTi.

I agree that it is very difficult to buy equipment as a gift: often it is good fun buying it together.

WW