Clayton F76: Excellent Results, Excellent Customer Service

lovcom_photo

Not really a question, but more of something I'm passing along. I use Clayton F76+ for all my B&W film

development, and I really love that it shows the film as very fine in grain, and I love the grays that this

developer "develops". Had an issue with an old unopened bottle with no expiration date...Clayton replaced it free no

issues.

For the past 20 rolls, I've been shooting with Freestyle's Arista Premium B&W ISO 100 & 400 which is rumored to be

repackaged Kodak TMax, but they're not saying for sure. Regardless, this film absolutely wonderful, and at $1.89

per 36 exposure roll, the price is a best deal.

"... I've been shooting with Freestyle's Arista Premium B&W ISO 100 & 400 which is rumored to be repackaged Kodak

TMax ..."

No, the 400ISO film is Tri-X.

I don't generally shoot Kodak 100 ISO products so I'm not sure what the 100ISO Arista Premium film is.

I assume you're shooting in 135. Tri-X certainly has a distinctive retro look in small format and printed to

8x10 or so. However, I find that the newer emulsions to be more generally usable. My personal favorite is 400

TMAX (TMY2) developed in Xtol 1:1. The combination is noticeably sharper, higher resolving, and gives smoother

tonality than Tri-X in say, D-76 or HC-110 dilH.

For 100ISO B&W, try Fuji Acros. 8x10 prints from 135 has zero grain. It out resolves the printer at this output

size and gives laser like sharpness. Highlights sparkle in HC-110; mid-tones separate out especially nicely in Xtol.

• 2 years later...