105mm 1.8 vs. 85mm 1.4

rekfotos

Another classic who-would-you-do question...

I have a D200 and looking for a lens for food and portraits.

I have used both for brief periods and love the older manual focus 105mm 1.8. Being that it weighs the same as a

car battery it has to be good. Actually, I was very peased with the results, dof, sharpness and brokeh.

I also have used the 85mm 1.4 for a quick shoot that was also quite stellar. It has a very nice large focussing ring

like the 105, which I like for still life etc., and there cannot be enough great things said about this lens.

I have the 85mm 1.8, which I have been happy with, but would be willing to trade up for the 1.4.

It would be one or the other for me. Any recommendations for 105, or 85 1.4?

I thought I had posted here before, but the post is missing. I had the 85mm f1.4 AIS lens for a short time and used it with my DX format D80. It was nice, but a little too tight for portraits so I got rid of it. One thing I did like was the sharpness, even when shooting at f4 or wider. It is a sharp lens, sharper than the f1.8 if you're needing to shoot at wide apertures. It's a classic, but priced like one, around $595 used. I don't think the f1.8 version is that much worse from f5.6 on up.

Hello Edmund,

I use the AF 85mm f1.4 and the MF 105mm f2.5 and love them both for almost the same reasons. I will share my

expereinces with each and hopefully these will help you decide.

The IQ for each lens is superb, the build and handling of each is also. Each are examples of Nikon's finest work in

my opinion.

The bokeh is superb on the 85mm and slightly less on the 105.

As a portrait lens (I shoot a D300) both excell. The 85mm shots are breathtaking, tack sharp and with wonderful

color rendition. The 105mm results are somewhat different and I do not have the words to explain the difference

easly. The 105 mm image somehow appears rounder, more full and has it's own sence of character. The 105mm

image has a somewhat "older" look to it. Again, I love both!

The 85mmm is a significantly more difficult lens to use than the 105mm due to it's extremely shallow DOF.

However, using the 85mm makes a better photographer out of you. You have to set up your shot very well thought

out. A head tilted to the left ot right too much with the lens wide open, when focusing on one eye, leaves the other

eye out of focus. Not so on the 105. The DOF on the 85mm is very shallow compared to the 105mm.

Wide open, the 85mm shines. Not so on the 105mm.

The 85mm seems to bring much more light to your eye than you think it would and therefore the subject is simply

easier to see in the viewfinder. If your eyes are ageing, it is a noticable difference.

Neither lens in my opinion is good as a close up lens. I attempted to shoot a still life of fruit last weekend and took

off both lenses. I used a Nikkor 17 - 55m with succcess when the other two lenses failed.

The 105mm is easy to slip into your pocket and go about. the 85mm doesn;t fit in any pocket that i have.

If I was to shoot manually only and I was only going to purchase one lens it would be the 105mm. I purchased my

105mm f2.5 AIS on eslay for $150 in great condition. It is a great medium tele and it's reputation as a portrait lens is

for a good reason. However, I have an 8 year old child that is in constant motion and in addition I shoot a lot of fast

grab shots out and about. The MF 105mm would never work for me as a principl;e lens. Therefore, when making my

descision to buy, I purchased the 85mm first. It also cost $900, a lot more than the MF 105mm. It is hands down

however, my favorite of the 10 Nikon lenses I use.

Edmond, I hope that this information is helpful in your quest and I wish you the best of luck. Both being such superb

lenses makes comparing them difficult. A suggestionif i may. . . if cost is in the equation, maybe you could

purchase the MF 105mm first. You may find that it is all you need and you would save hard earned $ to apply to

something else. Or, you may find that you wish to have both. I genuinely like having both and I use them for

differrent occasions. Should you end up purchasing both, either lens would be extremely easy to re-sell should you

not like one of them, for most likely what you paid for it.

I hope that I have helped a little and good luck to you in your descition and your shooting.

Best regards, Doug

Doug,

Thank you for the detailed response about the lenses.

The 105 I am looking at is the 1.8 vs the 2.5. It takes a 62mm filter and has quite a presense of its own. Interesting about the 17 - 55m.

I know a fellow that makes a living shooting food with a 35mm, which I have tried. I find my nose has to be practically on the plate using that lens.

I have had relatively good luck with a macro lens on a 50, or 85. I do like the impress factore of the 1.4 for shoots. Good advice about getting one and trying it out for awhile. These things are better not rushed.

Regards,

CRC is Close Range Correction, basically a shifting or 'floating' group of elements (in this case in the rear of the lens

design) that helps correct optical performance at closer distances. I believe the 85mm 1.4 AiS is the only Nikon tele with it,

the others use Rear or Internal focussing. CRC is/was mostly used in wides, the 24mm 2.8 was the first way back in '67.

Owned the 105 f1.8 for years, recently sold and bought 85 f1.4 AF. These are 2 exceptional lenses. I use them mostly

near wide open for concert shots.

The 105 is 'decently' good at 1.8, but not nearly as crisp or contrasty as 85 at 1.4 or 2. The 105 is incredible from appx

f2.5 and smaller.

The 85mm f1.4 AF is just plain the best, and for me improves both focus (I can't reliably manually focus lenses on a DX

camera) and light gathering ability.