What film camera to buy

engela

I've recently started with photography, and I'm currently using a Fulifilm Finepix S5000 digital camera. Is it worth it to

buy a film camera in this digital age? I've been offered a Minolta Maxxum 5Xi film camera for R3500-00 (±400 US).

The camera is second hand of course.

I'm currently taking studio photos with my Finepix and I was wondering if a film camera would be better for studio

snaps.

Regards,

Engela

I don't want to start another "dig/film" fight. However, I shoot film with a Leica M6 (B&W). I can walk into any gallery with photos and 100% say "digital" or "film". All I ask of people is to say "Giclee" which basically means inkjet, or "dark room". There is no doubt that digital is exceptional for fast breaking news, etc. But film has a "depth" (not pix/inch) that digital does not match.

Just my opinion.

The M6 is wonderful but very pricey, even just for the body. We have two and share three lenses and filters,and we are talking about $10,000US.

You can learn alot about photography with a film camera, particularly shooting slide film where the results you see, the slide, is the actual bit of film you exposed when taking the picture. The question you'll want to answer first is whether you have access to a place which will develop your film and make prints or to a darkroom where you can do this yourself.<p>

--<br>

Henry Posner<br>

<b>B&H Photo-Video</b>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

Film is just a different aesthetic. Think of it as an artist would choose between oil, watercolor, acrylic or egg tempera. Some viewers may notice a difference, others will simply appreciate it for what it is, not how it was made. But to the artist it's a matter of enjoying the medium.

If you think it's something you would enjoy, do it. If you're not sure, get something less expensive. There are plenty of very inexpensive film cameras available now. That same $400 U.S. could buy an entire film kit. A year or so ago I sold my entire Olympus OM system with several Zuiko lenses for a little over $200.

Engela

I like the Nikon FM2 or FM 3A. They are not, Leicas, of course, but these cameras are World Classics. I still DO work

film B&W and make digital archives at 4000 dpi.

I would ask you about your statement " Is it worth it to buy a film camera in this digital age?": "Is it worth it to buy a

tatai wood guitar in this digital age?" "Is it worth it to buy a tail piano in this digital age?.

this is my humble advice

best

JC

The Minolta sounds very expensive. Have a look at ebay for current prices of film cameras though read the small print to see if you are getting ay sort of guarantee. Some dealers will offer a 3 month guarantee on s/h gear - which is worth having.

I second the FM2 suggestion. It is a very rugged all-metal mechanical camera with manual exposure only - great for learning the nitty-gritty of photography. They accpet the huge range of excellent Nikon AI and AIS lenses which are very good qualit manual focus lenses..Their metal and mechanical construction means they are easier to repair than temore advanced electronic cameras of the tme.

I would look for the FM2n (which are a later almost identical version or te FM3A as suggested. Always look for the best possible condition, a reputable seller and a guarantee.You should be able to find examples going for much less than the Minolta price probably with a lens or two thrown in.

Thank you all for your responses.

I'm from South Africa (the most beautiful country in the world!). Sad thing about living here, is that everything gets imported and we end up paying a lot of money for cameras and equipment.

I have recently bought darkroom equipment, second hand, for very cheap. (I was after the studio lights that was included with the sale.) I thought that now that I have the darkroom equipment, I might as well get myself a film camera. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience, what so ever. I'm starting from scratch.

Regards

Engela

If possible get a Nikon. The Nikon F-mount lens system is the most successful mount system ever. The lens selection is overwhelming. If you get a Nikon F4 99.999% of all F-mount lens ever made WILL work including the new G-types.

A camera is just a camera.... the lens is whats really important.

-Joe

Engela, I am also from SA and that price for the Minolta is definitely too high. Besides, Minolta cameras are sadly a thing of the past so repair may be a problem. I agree that a Nikon is a good one to go for but have a look at Pentax as they can be had for good prices. The simplest is the K1000. Other good ones are the M-series: ME-Super, MX. The autofocus, MZ-5n is a gem of a camera (I have one) and allows manual control. The Z-series like the Z-20 is a fine camera. Many of the older Pentaxes can still be easily repaired and serviced, at least in Pretoria where I stay and most probably in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town. The Pentax lenses can also be used on their digital cameras e.g K10D, K20D etc.