Favorite focal lengths for 4x5?

kevcross

Hello all,

I just bought a Sinar F2 body and have been looking for a lens to go with it but I'm not sure what focal length

to get. I'd like to use the camera mainly for landscape and architecture but enjoying shooting all kinds of

subjects. So my question for all you 4x5 users is what subjects do you like to shoot and what focal lengths do

you find most useful in photographing them?

Thanks!

Kevin

Hi Kevin. For general use, my 210mm works great. It's just a tiny bit longer than "normal" as focal lengths go, but it does the job when I need it to. For wider applications, I have a 135mm, which is nice when doing landscape shots (or the distorted fashion model photo in the desert... that sort of thing). I haven't used Sinar (Cambo owner since I was infected with "the Bug"), so you might find more affordable alternatives in similar lengths. 200-210 is a good starting point.

Hope this helps!

Darin

I would suggest a wa, normal and the tele combination and than you have lenses for everything.

My lenses are oversized for the 4x5 and has image circle which cover 5x7 well or very close to that. It's because of the camera movements. I want to be sure that I have all extras when I need it and don't need to have a centerfilter on the WA lens.

So be wise and think before you invest.

Even if you not getting a tele its useful to have one longer lens like on the 300mm range. I find that the lenses I use most are the wide and the tele, but it deepens what kind of work you do.

There are many possible choices of focal lengths and focal length combinations. For a normal lens the most

popular choices are 150, 180 or 210. Many will argue for the focal length that they use; probably you will come

to like whichever you pick. I use a 180 mm lens -- I selected this focal length because it gives a bit of extra

coverage without being that much narrower than 150. For several years it was my only lens and is still by far my

most used lens. My second most used lens is a moderate wide, a 110 mm. I use this for landscape, cityscapes,

architecture, and closer views. For longer views a 270 or 300 mm is a good step up. For cases where the 110

mm isn't wide enough (tall building, close building, etc.) I use a 72 mm Super-Angulon-XL.

I suggest starting with a normal lens of 150, 180 or 210. With architecture you will need a wider lens. If you

are on a budget the least expensive is a 90 mm. If you have a larger budget you get can two, a moderate wide

and a very wide. I like to space the focal lengths apart by about a factor of x1.5 or 1.7. Any closer and

the lenses are not different enough and not worth the effort / weight to carry. Much farther apart and it seem

that the gap is too large. (At the extreme wide angle end the spacing can be closer.)

If you will start with 2 lenses, the 90 for architecture and 210 for landscape. I agree with the other comments that 150/180 is a great range, also. If you went with those 3, you'd be in great shape. Of course, particular preferences or subject matters might suggest either wider or longer than those mentioned. If you like panoramic landscapes, for example, the Schneider 58mm XL works well. If I was only going to have one lens on 4x5, it would probably be 210, which also works well for macro. Think carefully about what you want to shoot. You might consider renting some lenses to shoot over a weekend. That would give you a good idea about your own tastes.

My answer will be a bit repetitious. I shoot 4x5 and 5x7 and can swap lenses so I have tried many focal lengths on both formats. Image circle is of great importance, and that depends on a particular lens' design more than anything else. Having said that I will stick to the question: I favor wide angles. A 90mm is always with me. As a standard I've begun using a 135mm instread of the 150mm I was using and I am liking it a lot better. For a long I use a 210/370 convertible lens (but not frequently).

Nowdays I leave the house packing smaller, lighter lenses unless I am doing 5x7. My 4x5 light 90 is an Angulon f6.9 (watch the smallish image circle here). The 135mm is a Nikkor-W f5.6. The 150mm is a Fujinon f6,3. The convertible 210/370 does not fit the light and small description, but is a Symmar f5.6-12. Hope this helps

Hi. I shoot landscape and architecture. I started out with 90mm, 150mm and 300mm. Some of my all time favourite pictures where

taken with the 150mm lens. I personally found the 300mm too long. Not so much in terms of focal length, but in terms of bellows

extension. I found the camera unstable on the tripod at this long extension, the bellows was stretched to its limit whenever I took a

picture

at a closer distance. I now use 75mm, 135mm and 240mm. The main point is that you can always crop, especially with LF.

This set (75 Nikkor, 135mm APO Sironar S and 240mm APO Ronar) is compact, sharp, contrasty and not too expensive.

All lenses allow reasonable, but not excessive movement. If I need as much shift as I had with my 90mm lens, I just take the 75mm

and crop. But the 90mm couldn't go as wide as the 75mm lens.

The same arguments work for 135mm vs 150mm and for 240mm vs 300mm.

Stefan

Hi Kevin,

I was told that the "standard" lens for 5x4 would be 150mm, because that is roughly the diagonal of the frame.

However, for architecture and landscape I found a Rodenstock 180mm OK for most situations. If I want something a

bit wider, I use a Nikon 135mm. If it is an architectural interior, I usually use a Schneider 90mm Super Angulon,

which is a massive lump of glass, but it does cover 7x5, so there is a lot of movement possible on 5x4.

For architecture (my primary activity) I use, in this order, 90, 150, 55 (sometimes cropped to the image needed), 250.

For landscapes, I use, in this order, 250, 150, 90, 55.

That sequence of lenses for architecture is fairly standard for commercial architectural work, but the landscape sequence is just my personal way of approaching landscape. John Dykinga uses a 58mm far more than I do my 55.

But for just two lenses I think that Ellis (as always!) has it right - 90 and 180.

The 210 is an ideal landscape lens. 180 is ok as well. Unless you have specific projects that demand a wider angle, I would not be in a hurry to buy additional lenses, whatever you get for a first lens, since it sounds like 4x5 is new to you. It is complex enough just getting an exposure made without fussing about which lens to use. Way back when, when I started with 4x5, I had only a 210, recommended by my dealer, for over a year. I learned a lot about 4x5 photography and what the lens would and would not do. I then got a 90. I still have both but use the 210 more than any other. Now, I probably have too many since it can take me a while to decide which one to use. Move slowly on lens purchases. 4x5 is a slow process anyway.

Good luck.

Eric

I started with Congo 90, 180 and 300 lenses. After a few years I replaced them by Nikon 90/8, Fuji 135, Nikon 200 and 300 lenses, later I added Schneider 58 and Fuji 450 lenses. <br>Since I shoot primarily landscapes, my main concern was weight and size.

<p>Over the last 2 years, I purchased Schneider 80, 150 L and 270 lenses as a long-distance-hiking set.

<br>For the little architecture I do I occasionally use an older Fujinon-W 135 (228mm image circle!) and a Schneider G-Claron 240.

<p>All lenses are very similar in terms of sharpness, contrast, color balance etc.

<p>I love and use all my lenses, but recently - believe it or not - I sometimes find myself thinking about returning to the 90 - 180 - 300 set...