Party in a Dark Restaurant

kfrog

I've been asked to photograph a retirement party in what is sure to be a dimly lit Italian restaurant. I have a

K10D, a FA50mm, a DA18-250mm and a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 in my bag. I've done this before but I wasn't entirely

satisfied with the results. This is not a paying job just a chance to photograph co-workers. The last time I did

this I used both the FA and the DA with mixed results (I didn't have the Tamron back then). Some shots were

blurry, some too much yellow, and some bad

I've learned a few things since then and I feel confident I can get some decent pictures but I would welcome any

suggestions on camera settings, WB and f-stops. ISO I'm thinking will be in the 800 - 1600 range. I'll probably

stick with AV mode.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Douglas, One word... Flash. Seriously getting good results of people shots in low light is really, really hit or miss without a flash. You need 1/60 of a sec to stop most people movement in a reception type setting. If it's sharp any slower than 1/60 you just got lucky. If you don't have / can't use a flash, bring up the room lights as much as practical. Use the 90 and the 50; push them close to wide open (but watch your depth of field, especially on the 50 if it's a f/1.4) and bump the ISO to 800 or 1600 and deal with the noise in post processing.

If you do have a flash figure out the ambient room exposure, then shoot 1.5 to 2 stop above that and let the flash fill in for you. Preferably somewhere around f/4 to 5.6. You'll pick up the ambient room light by dragging the shutter even at 1/30 or so, the flash will stop the action and you get a pretty balanced look with an on camera diffused / bounced flash.

I'm shooting a dinner reception tomorrow night. I'll setup two flashes off camera with radio triggers and diffusers bounced off the ceiling. They will light the room for me and provide some texture since they are off camera and I can turn off the radio transmitter if I want to go ambient light.

First steps though learn how to balance ambient room light and fill flash on camera. That's kind of wedding / reception 101. You can get some great results pretty easy.

/Roger

Thanks guys. I feel kind of silly but...

I forgot to mention I do have a flash but haven't figured out how to use it just yet. I have a Sunpak Auto 383 and a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce. (I'm a bit of a brick head) I've had little opportunity to use it but seems now is as good a time as any.

Roger, yes, my 50 is 1.4. Nice lens. I'll keep it around f/2.0 to 2.5 I would think.

How do I figure out what the ambient room exposure is? Maybe I need to take a class...

I cannot advise you on the Sunpack flash. It would have to be capable of P-TTL or be set to manual flash only, which is harder to get proper exposure. If the flash will work, by all means use the super zoom. Otherwise, if you must resort to the built-n flash, the 50mm will not interfere and be most versatile. Too bad you don't have the little Pentax kit lens too. Shoot at ISO 800 to help the ambient lighting beyond the flsash range show up and blend in. If your flash will work and has tilt/swivel, use that for bounce where appropriate.

With the built-in flash, try a colour temperature orange gel over it, tungsten WB, in slow sync mode, set to flash exposure

compensation -0.7 or -1 stops, AV wide aperture,. With those settings it just serves to fill shadows and reduce noise at

high ISO. Plus you get focus assist you won't have with the sunpak.

Douglas,

I tend to use Tv mode instead of Av in such circumstances and preset shutter speed between 1/60s and 1/100s, unless I want to capture some movement. That usually results in shooting my F50/1.7 wide open at ISO 800-1600 (still plenty sharp, but precise focusing is critical). RAW is my preferred format most of the time because of colour balance and easier noise handling (via Lightroom).

Peter

I agree with Michael and the others re: the flash. The 383 does not have P-TTL, so with the K10D, it's manual only. I usually shoot in manual unless I am in a hurry (like at a reception) and then P-TTL is a godsend. If you have not had the consumated love-bond with your Sunpak and know it inside and out, you're likely going to struggle at this reception. I would recommend borrowing or renting a AF380 or 540 and spend lots of time playing with it before the big event. If you have to buy the 380 or 540, then keep the receipt and return it afterwards if you decide not to keep it (which would be a pity...they're both great flashes). If you're using a StoFen or any diffuser, remember that you will lose some light output from the attenuation. I usually boost my flash by 0.5 to 1.0 EV to compensate depending on the ceiling height if bouncing and diffusing, how wide the lens focal length is, etc.

Thanks again guys for the suggestions.

Michael I'm thinking I'll go with the 50mm and the on board flash if needed for up close type shots and give the 18-250mm a try with the flash for wide angle shots.

Trent, which of my lenses would I use with the your recommendations or does it matter?

I tend to stick with AV mode Peter. I don't think now would be a good time to experiment with TV mode though. I have used it outdoors and it works well for me in that setting.

I don't see a new flash in my future Jeff. Didn't I tell you, I have a wife and I want to keep her! :) As I mentioned I haven't had the chance to use the 383 in this type of setting so I'm concerned I won't get any usable shots. I'll try it with the zoom lens and see what happens.