Epson R2880 evaluations ...

my finger is on the 'Buy Now' key!

I don't like these types of questions, as they are generally submitted without sufficient vetting. however, my

Epson 1270 needs to be retired, and it seems everyone raves about their R2400. not so many reviews of the latest

R2880, and with the great holiday rebates .. my finger is poised!

any caveats other than limited ink capacity? mostly B&W printing & duotones.

my only real issue is size and ink availability. I live on a sailboat so space is limited, and I am about to head

around the world and need reasonable assurance that I can buy inks. I don't see this as much of a problem, since

I can pre-buy inks and papers before I leave. I suppose the reality these days, is that you can get anything you

want in Bora Bora or Tonga, if you have the time and patience.

any salient reasons for not buying the R2880 that might have eluded me?

thanks to all ...

captain dan

I did the research before buying mine a month ago. All the comments on the 2400 apply, the 2880 is a great printer. Only reasons not to buy are if you swap a lot between matt and other papers in which case there are two sorts of black cartridge that need to be manually swapped (a special one for matt paper), which wastes ink and time.

The cartridges are hardly high-street items in the UK (even at the shops that sell the printers). I would be tempted to spend a few hundred quid on a few full sets, they are vacuum packed so should last for ages. My first set of inks have seen me through a box of A3+ paper (25 sheets) and i reckon ive got 5 more prints before my first cartridge needs changing. Apparently subsequent usage will be more efficient. Also the best papers are all mail order, so you need to consider where to get your favourite paper (mine is Permajet Oyster).

If you want more ink per cart I'd get the Epson 3800- it's far more economical if you plan to print in any volume (the printer comes with hundreds in ink). Epson sells reasonably priced refurbished ones from the Epson store. Quality should be basically the same as the R2400 and R2880.

Otherwise you can stockpile a bunch of carts- they are light.

For an even greater savings on supplies, and if you print very much, the 4880 is better than the 3800. You can get larger ink cartridges

which translates into cheaper ink costs, plus, the 4880 takes roll paper, more savings over sheet paper. With the 3800, the ink cartridges

are 80 ml, and the 4880 cartridges come in either 110 ml or 220 ml, each larger size means less cost per ml of ink. HTH

45 pound : )

Seriously guys, the OP said *live on a sailboat limited space*..dont recommended him a 82 pound printer as huge as a dryer machine! the 3800 would be a better buy vs the 2880 just for the ink size..other than that, they take around the same place, and they are both amazing printer. I dotn know how they would live on a sail boat with all the wave and heavy mvoement..but they are both the best printer i would recommended.

I was just gonna add my 2 cents then read Patrick's -- it's weird how people do not actually READ what is asked. The 2880 is a better printer than the 2400. I LOVE my 2400 and will replace it within a year.

A 48xx on a sailboat -- who are you kidding (with that answer)? LOL.