How to post process an image for web viewing?

I was wondering if someone can give me some help on the best method to process an image for web viewing. Here is

the method I use now. I first size the image, canvas the image, convert the profile to sRGB, convert to 8 bits, then

sharpen the image with Smart sharpen and last in PS "save for web devices. But my images just don't have the

same look that the orginals have when viewing the master files in PS. The colors always look slightly different,

saturation is off a little and they look like a JPEG. I see a lot of other photographer images on this site that their web

images look awesome, they don't look like JPEG's. When I look at other photographers web images like Marc

Adamus, David Clapp, Micheal Anderson, Enrique Fernandez Ferra and many others they look awesome. They are

extremly sharp without looking like the were oversharpened in PS. Can anyone give me any advice on how to make

your images look their best (like the orginal master files) when presenting them on the web? Any advice or help

would be greatly appriciated.

If they are posted here, they are jpegs and that's what good jpegs look like. What you may be talking about is the difference between good jpegs and bad jpegs.

Aside from that, you should use a color-managed browser, Safari if you are on a Mac, Firefox 3+ if you are elsewhere. Take a look at them in the color-managed browser and see what you need to do to get the look.

For sharpening, use Smart Sharpen carefully for the look you want. There are no magic settings, it is specific to the source and the to the material.

Well I can't comment on the changes in saturation and contrast, I used to have that problem when using CS2 and the only way I got around it was by using the preview and changing the saturation and contrast until it looked right. For resizing and sharpening, I found a tutorial online that I'll break down quickly. Resize to 72 dpi and 1600 pixels on the longest edge. Use the regular sharpen feature once, sometimes twice. Resize to your finished web size, and use smart sharpen setting the radius at .1 and the amount around 50-70%. These numbers are something you could play with for each image.

<i>Resize to 72 dpi </i><P>No, don't bother with this. It has nothing to do with anything on a display. DPI is a header to a device that outputs in inches, which does not include screens. Also, the instructions about sharpening settings are not really that relevant. I have completely different sharpening settings between two different cameras, and I often sharpen differently by content. Another thing that many people whose jpegs look great do is selective sharpening. This takes more work, but it often gives excellent "pop" in the photos.<p>Finally, there is no reason to sharpen at 1600 pixels. Most pros and experienced photographers use a small amount of capture sharpening and then final sharpening to get the look they want.