Photography lessons

BratNikotin

<p>Hi, came to an unusual (to me) situation.<br>

I hang out a lot on local concerts and jams, for the purpose of photography. And there is a professional photographer who comes over every now and then. He is not a friend or anything of sorts, but we talk and hang out while on the subject. <br>

Recently he saw me posting some pics on a fb, praised me, and offered to give me some lessons.<br />Now, I can imagine its a common practice to find an instructor this way, but he did not say anything about compensation. Now, he is commercially a working photographer. I am wandering if I agree to take some lessons from him, how much can it hurt financially?<br>

Thanks.</p>

I don't know what is meant by "lessons". Are we talking about a formal classroom or are we talking about advice during a photo shoot? How much advice has to be given before it becomes a lesson?

Consider:

" I want a good shot of the lead guitarist. Since most people look at a photo the same way they read, from top left to bottom right, I will place him slightly off to the left in the frame and the drummer in the background will be off to the right and lower. I will use a wide aperture to get a narrow depth of field to have the guitarist in sharp focus but the drummer in the background will be blurred out slightly."

Would you say that was advice or a lesson in composition and depth of field?

James G. Dainis

<p>Wow !! :) Soo much responses:) <br /> Just to clarify .. we are both men, both adults, and with everything all right about us. And though not close friends, know each other on a "pal" and "hi-bye" level :)<br>

<br />I wasn't asking what to be aware of :) But thanks for caring ..<br /> I was just trying to find out going market rate :) I don't want to ask him for a free lesson and at the same time do not want to entice him as an easy paying client :)</p>

<p>Dima,</p>

<p>In that case, do you think you could actually gain anything from lessons, and if so, perhaps just ask how much and see what he says. I don't know that there is a precedent for this because I don't think people normally take private photography lessons (though I could be wrong of course). If he says 'no charge,' then I'd just offer to buy him dinner and drinks.<br>

Bill</p>

<p>Regarding fees for lessons, several years ago when I was getting into watercolor I occasionally met with a local artist for critique sessions. Not formal lessons, mostly to talk about and demonstrate techniques, etc. And I've done that with photographers when I was learning darkroom techniques, etc. Usually I'd pay $10-$20 a session. That was 10 or more years ago and I don't know what the appropriate rate would be today. But it's something you can talk about if you decide the experienced photographer and you are compatible.</p>

<p>I'd tell him I'm very interested and ask what he's proposing.<br /><br />Professional photographers are often looking for assistants, and that's the best way for an aspiring photographer to learn. Experienced assistants gets paid. But if you're willing to trade your time for his expertise until you get to that point, it could be a good deal for both of you.</p>

<p>I do concert photography and I have taught people I see at shows. The reason is simple. I sometimes need a photographer to fill in for me due to scheduling and I want to give the promoter/band/magazine someone I know can a) do the job in the way I would do it, and b) isn't going to take the client. Very simple. Maybe that's why I didn't have a paranoid reaction to the question.</p>

<p> </p>