Canon 28mm f2

gnashings

Just looking through the "archives" I realized that while the 24mm f2 is widely discussed (and apparently rightfully so,

as one of the gems of the FD line up), not much is written about the 28mm f2. Any thoughts on that lens - how does

it compare to the f2.8? Is it worth the extra expenditure (other than the slightly brighter viewfiner image and one stop

of light)? Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated as I am hunting for a new wide angle now that my Vivitar

is sidelined, and this lens cought my eye as a potential bargain. Thanks,

Peter.

It's a very good lens the 3 examples I have had over the years were all beat to crap. So I passed them on. I think the 28mm f2.0 was not sold in very high numbers they just don't show up that often.

Could be because the 28mm f2.8 was so popular being the second most sold lens outside the 50mm's from the numbers you see showing up for sale now.

I like mine, although it isn't used often enough. I find it to be a very good performer with excellent sharpness across most of the field, which I saw less of in the 2.8 version. Or maybe it was my imagination. Anyway it is a very good lens and you won't be disappointed in its rendition if you manage to get hold of one (I took about a year of searching to find one at a reasonable price).

My 28/2 is the FD SSC model. I really like it. If weight isn't a problem and if I think the light might be low this is the 28 I use. I also have two 28/2.8 New FDs, a 28/2.8 FD SC (I think it's SC), a chrome front 28/3.5, a 28/3.5 black front and two 28/3.5 FLs. These do not include my many non-Canon 28m FD mount lenses.

My sample is very sharp, it was a bgn lens from KEH. The one thing I don't like about the lens is that it's full of bubbles around the front element, I've discussed this on this very forum and other users had bubbles in their nFD 28/2's too but they do not effect picture quality. I sometimes see them on eBay and I will ask the seller for a close up of the front element just out of curiosity and they to have the bubbles.

Mark

I bought it for around $80 on eBay, a bargain price. Later I purchased 24mm f/2.8, and did not see much use for it. So I sold it for around $150 to a professor in Switzerland. When I did use the glass, I usually used it for landscapes, so I didn't see much difference in IQ, at least to my amateur eyes.<div>00RTr5-88191584.jpg.8e1eb8356d55725ce5af47f3320fa71a.jpg</div>

Hi Peter,I have the 28mm f2n, I bought it new about twenty years ago, I also have the 2.8 version I've

accumulated over the years, they are both fine performers, I don't think you will be disappointed with either,

you just have to decide if you need the extra speed, and cost of the f2.

Best wishes . Ben

Thanks again for continuing input. Ben, I think your last post basically summerizes how I have been leaning on this issue, the price increase not being proportional to any tangible gains in quality, etc. Then again, the price increases in photo equipment are seldom in proportion to gained ability - the upper strata of photo equipment is reached by astronomical increases compared to the more run of the mill, but still very capable (and for most, not distinguishable in terms of final product) brethren. Still, as FD users, we are somewhat spoiled - even $150 price tag for a quality wide angle prime is really peanuts compared to what these things used to cost, or what the current AF, digi-compatible lenses go for...

I think Peter that with lenses in general that if you pay twice as much for one you don't get a lens that's twice as good , but perhaps 10% better. and in my experience there's a lot of snobbery about fast lenses, quite often the version with the more modest aperture will outperform aperture for aperture the faster one, I own both these optics,and tend to carry the 2.8 one because it's much lighter , and takes just as good pictures.

I was fairly disappointed with the 28mm F2 (as I am with the 28mm F2.8). It is not that it is a bad lens, just that most of my FD lenses that get used are FD or near FD. I almost always find that I take the 24mm F2 or the 35mm F2 get used. My advice is that it is worth the extra to buy a smaller number of good lenses, rather than more average performers. As the world moved from FD to EF I bought quite a few average lenses but have since discovered that I almost never take them when I go out.

• 5 years later...

I have the Canon FD SSC f2. I used in a Sony A7 and Nex7 with the Novoflex adapter. I could not focus to infinitum. Do you have that

problem? Maybe it is my expensive german adpater?

About the results of this lens. It was amazing when using it with a Canon A1 and AE1 P. Amazing lens. Worth to get one, but I have the problem above.. What is your experience.

I use a lot the 28 f2.8 FD. New version. Amazing with the Sony A7. It is my prime. 50 and 21 are the other focal lenghts I use.