Paper and film storage

steven_d._johnson

I've always kept my film in the refrigerator, but recently put unexposed film in the freezer for long-term storage on the

suggestion of a local photographer. In nature, sometimes when things actually freeze, they suffer irreparable

damage. Apparently, this isn't the case for film. So what about enlarging paper, exposed film and dry chemicals?

Would any of these items suffer damage in the freezer? Also, because I live in a hot-summer area, I've decided to

keep my paper in the refrigerator. Is this a bad idea?

Film and paper can be frozen in most typical household freezers with a little care. However care should be taken to protect these materials from changes in moisture levels. In frost-free freezers I had no problems, but other freezers occasionally produced mottling on my medium format film, presumably when moisture was trapped between the film and paper backing.

Dry chemicals are best stored at normal household temperatures (below 80F) in a low moisture area.

I've kept film in the fridge for years, no problems. I don't bother storing paper in the fridge because I try to use it up quickly.

I don't know if there is any scientific data to support refrigerator vs. freezer, but many years ago a highly technical person explained to me that all photo-senistized materials begin to deteriorate as soon as they are created in the factory. Placing the item in a freezer, I was told, suspends the deterioration indefinitely. Forever, actually. Film that has been frozen ever since you brought it home from the store should be as good as the day you bought it, even if that was 20 years ago. I can't speak for paper, but I can't imagine it being different. I also can't speak for film that has been exposed -- never did that.

One precaution I've always done with film is keep it in the original canister, wrap it good in plastic wrap, then place it inside a Zip-lock-style freezer bag. This will minimize, if not eliminate, any moisture problems.

Out of the way, ice cream, peas and pork chops -- I've got to shoot some film!

Will

Placing the film in a freezer won't suspend the deterioration indefinitely but it will slow it down to a great degree. Heat deteriorates film so low temperature deals with that. Cosmic radiation also deteriorates film to a lesser degree. Unless the refrigerator were located deep in a salt mine covered with several feet of lead, the cosmic radiation will still fog it over a long period of time.

Film and paper are both composed of light sensitive materials, Storing them at a low temperature helps. Exposed film is still composed of light sensitive material, it should also be stored at a low temperature.

Polaroid film should not be kept in the freezer. The chemicals in it react badly to actual freezing temperatures.

James G. Dainis

Steven:

About "So what about enlarging paper, exposed film and dry chemicals? Would any of these items suffer damage in the

freezer? "

Of course TIME does not forgive and all these material will sooner or later degrade. Put it in the refrigerator or in the

freezer will just delay the the deterioration process. Chemically, the deterioration process is slowed down, but I would

not say indefinitely.

- I have stored undeveloped paper and dry chemicals for long periods of time (years) in the refrigerator and without any

further problems. As Will stated, put them in zip-lock bags.. humidity does not forgive....Liquid chemicals should be kept

in dark /light safe containers... Light produce photo degradation. Liquid chemical, should also be stored in containers with

limited amounts of air. If you opened the T-max liquid stock solution developer , you can complete the volume you

removed from the bottle using glass marvels, so the amount of air is reduced. Air OXIDIZES the chemicals.

-Exposed film is different. Process the exposed film as soon as possible.. Of course, low temperatures delay the

degradation, but be careful.

I hope this helped

JC

Cosmic radiation is very bad at high altitude. We live at 7,000ft, same as Los Alamos (about 60 miles as the veritable crow flies). They have a multi node computer with >8,000 IBM PCs. Three IBM folks live and work there just to maintain the PCs. The PCs are covered with aluminum foil but they lose a couple now and then. Must be hard with high altitude hking, lead bags may be the rule. Anyone know?

Ambient radiation, even at the highest elevation, is seldom a factor with ISO 400 and slower films. It can be a problem with faster films, which is why films like Delta 3200 should be purchased fresh and not stored unless you have access to a handy cavern or radiation bunker. Printing papers are too slow to be bothered by ambient radiation.