What is your equipment purchase/upgrade plan for 2009 ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping to get a decent tripod finally. I am looking at getting a Bogen 055xdb and a 486rc2 ballhead. I might ask my wife for it for Christmas if I ever get this darned promotion at work (been waiting 10 weeks to hear now and my boss and her boss still haven't heard why it is being hung up, other then 'yup, its in process'). Depending on any vacation plans with my wife's family I might get a Tamron 17mm f/3.5 to get some super wide converage since my current widest lens is a 24mm f/2.8.

Money IS very tight though unfortunately. My wife and I have a single income since she is staying home until the kids are old enough to be in school and having an almost $6k HVAC replacement bill a couple of months ago really puts a damper on any camera gear plans. Thankfully we had a lot of savings.

I really love to look in to get a Zuiko 24/2, 85/2 and/or 300/4.5, but I doubt any of those are in the cards anytime soon. I might just look at getting the 85/2 since my wife's cousin has a wedding next labor day and it would compliment my 50/1.4 and 28/1.8 nicely.

I now got 2 broken tripods and so my next shopping spree will be for a new one. Something a little more robust perhaps.

For new gear in 2009, I'd like to buy an 85/1.8 and if I can a further few few hundred together, an entry level lighting kit.

I have all the studio and support equipment that I need. However, I do intend to add a Canon 5D Mark II to my 1Ds3 studio camera.

I will also be adding more hard drive storage, both for online data and backup. However, that has become less and less expensive. With 1TB drives going for less that $150.00 each now, it is very practical to add disks to my hot-swap RAID rack.

My biggest worry is that the womens' clothing company clients, for whom I shoot product line and catalog sets, may be in dire straits. However, line photography each season is an essential they cannot do without. Like most others though, I have decided to be conservative, despite a steady work schedule that is currently booked well into next year.

Rashed, good question. My answer as an amateur photographer is: Nothing ! Obsoletely nothing new - unless some of

what I already have get stolen of break down (fingers crossed). Had I been a professional, my answer would be different,

I'm sure.

I'm convinced that I only exploit a fraction of the possibilities of my present equipment and that it will take several seasons

before I feel an urgent need for upgrading. Most of you are probably in the same situation despite daydreams of new

gadgets.

I never buy used lenses (aside from vintage ones), but I'll be keeping my eye out for a good deal on a used Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS -- probably from someone trying to raise money to pay the rent. The reason is that I really do have a need for this lens. Other than that, the economy is too uncertain for me to be throwing my money all about.

I will probably add an EOS macro lens of some sort. Likely used as it is not something I need so much as would find handy. I need to replace a couple of umbrellas in my portable lighting setup. But I've needed to do that for a while, so it may continue to get ignored.

The Canon EOS 5D MKII is really the only major thing I am considering. Mostly for it's high ISO and HD video. But I'm quite happy with my first gen 5D, so a lot would depend on what I read in reviews (or if I get my hands on one to review for photo.net).

Other than that, the only photographic related things I really NEED are a few more hard drives and perhaps a second monitor.

I am lucky enough to have a camera store. Even I will be adding very little equipment . A 150mm lens for 4x5 and 5x7 is a probability. Also, we have a certain beautiful wooden 4x5 in stock that I may appropriate. I certainly do not need a 4x5, but if cameras have souls this one is a beauty, and I may not be able to resist.