Hutch Targets -- 35mm versus 6x7

I still shoot all film (mostly Provia 100), mostly using a Nikon F3 and a Hasselblad. I scan my film on a Nikon

Coolscan 9000. I created scanner profiles using Wolf Faust 35mm IT-8 targets but I am having constant problems

with dark areas in the scan being taken to black or seriously distorted color-wise by applying the profile. When

this happens I don't use the profile, but in so doing I am often not as happy with the colors (in other words the

profile really does do some good, but it also does bad things if there are dark areas in the original). My

understanding is that the Hutch profiles are better on this count. So, I am looking at getting a Hutch target.

I scan both 35mm and 6x6 transparencies and Hutch has targets in both sizes. I certainly don't plan to get both

but my

question is can I get away with the 35mm or is there something major gained with the 6x7 target? The 35mm target

is $150 whereas the 6x7 target is $340 so that is why I would rather go with the 35mm target.

Thanks!

Thanks. These are art photographs of nature so I do not need scientific accuracy, on the other hand I am looking at spending this money because I am not happy with the results I've been getting with an IT-8 target. So, I am not sure where that puts me on the picky scale.

Interesting. I hadn't considered that the software might be the issue. I have been using IPhotoMinusICC and was planning to upgrade to add scanner profiling to my Gretag Macbeth Eye-One software (since IPhotoMinusICC cannot handle Hutch targets). I looked at the Scarse website and while it claims that a Windows distribution is available I could not find a link to download it.