'lux 50mm ASPH vs pre-ASPH

jeff_kim3

If you have both (lucky you) then surely you can answer the question better than the rest of us? The ASPH is probably the best 50 f1.4 ever made in terms of resolution and contrast at all apertures, but the pre-ASPH is lens that has been central to many fine Leica images made during that lens' long history. I suspect that the bokeh of the pre-ASPH is better, but it comes at the price of much poorer resolution in the edges and corners at wide apertures. If I could afford to I would keep the ASPH and sell the pre-ASPH, but that is me, it depends on what you want from a lens.
Robin Smith

I am asking primary because I did a test shot using both and for the life of me I could not see a big difference.

Funny enough, 35mm 'lux ASPH doesnt seem to perform well as 50mm pre-ASPH (sharpness and bokeh). I have sent that lens in for

servicing wondering if there is something wrong with the lens.

I have both--actually three: the ASPH, latest pre-ASPH and ver. 2. They all have different looks and signatures. You ARE lucky to have both, and if the differences do not matter to you then sell the ASPH, as it will bring you the most cash. Are you shooting film or digital M8? I prefer the ASPH on the M8 and the pre-ASPHs on film. I would only have had the ver. 2 for my M2 and M3, but the BP last pre-ASPH for my coming MP was so pretty that I couldn't resist selling other lenses to get it... I used to own a silver one with an M7, and I missed that lens a lot. All of the 50 'luxes are great portrait lenses. The ASPH is razor sharp, so it gives you reality in the face, whereas the others give you plenty-sharp but softer and smoother background images. You really have to try them a lot to find out which one is best for what you want in your images.