K1000 and AF-160 Flash...

shaloot

First, any K1000 users use a flash on their camera? I am confused when I read the literature and not sure I am

suppose to keep the shutter at 1/60 (the x-synch speed of the k1000) and change the aperture accordingly or if I

go according to the guide on the back of the flash and set the required aperture and then change the shutter

speed until the lightmeter is in the middle?<br>

For example, I have an iso 400 film, my subject is focused at around 3 ft, and so according to the back of the

flash I would have to set my f-stop at 22?! That's really small innt?? So I would probably have to have a

shutter speed of around 1 sec, and with no SR, I can forget about it being a clear photo... but I think this is

assuming I'm using a camera that automatically sets the shutter.. cause the manual mentions for other cameras to

set it at the synch speed... sorry, I'm a little confused... or do I just put the flash on manual mode (which

make it release full power) and set the shutter and aperture but base it of what? the light meter? <br>

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/AF_160_FLASH.pdf <br>

I have attached a link the flash's manual and if go from pages 11 to 14 you can see where I am getting confused..

and below is a link the k1000 manual where it talks about flash... <br>

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/K1000%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf <br>

Any info/insight or advice would be helpful! Or should I just upgrade from the k1000 to... er... I really dont

know my film pentax... get confused with all the pz's, mz's, mx's... haha! <br>

Thanks! <br>

-Somanna <br>

<br>

ps- sorry I dont know the html for hyperlinks... :/

a slr like the K1000 or canon ae-1 or my old miranda and many others with the cloth horizontal moving shutter

synch electronic flash at 1/60. The canon AE-1 does auto switch to 1/60 with a dedicated flash.

some older models may synch at 1/50 or slower.

there are 2 curtains. If you open the back and set the shutter at a slow speed, such as 1 sec or 1/15 sec,

you will notice the aperture is totally open and closes after the first curtain reaches the far side.

1/60 is the fastest speed where there is a total opening from side to side.

at 1/125 , only 1/2 is open and a flash picture taken at this speed will show 1/2 black

and 1/2 exposed. at speeds higher than 1/60, the second curtain "chases" the first curtain.

The time ( duration of the flash is so short) 1/1000 or so that the shutter has to be totaly open.)

A metal vertically moving shutter will often synch at 1/125, ( pentax me super)

various models of electronic flash units work differently.

best choice is a

n "auto thyristor flash" the dial suggests a lens aperture setting. ( shutter stays at 1/60)

for a certain film speed. better models will have a half or quarter power setting

so you can use the flash with fast film and not find f/22 ( which may not be on a wide angle or normal lens)

buy one that uses 4 AA cells. Lighter and smaller units often have one auto and a manual setting.

these flashes see the light and shorten the duration ( time) of the flash

so less light is produced.

on manual setting OR with a manual flash, you still use 1/60

but either use the "calculatoir dial" or if you have a guide number.

distance X f/stop. If the guide number is 64, the camera will be set at f/8 for a photo at 8 feet.

an auto flash BUT NOT a thyristor flash works like the thyristior model but dumps unused power instead of saving

it for the next photo.

Older flashes tend to be more powerful.

I have an old GE, for 35mm or polaroid pack cameras that has an iso guide of 56.

ot 112 for iso 100. but it requires doing math im ny head. Time was iso 32 was fast film.

So as a short answer Somanna, as a basic starting point, set your K1000 shutter speed to 60, and leave it there

while you are using the flash. Then set your aperture based on what the flash tells you, via the chart on the

back, guide number, or whatever. Forget the meter.

Then see how your pictures turn out. I confess I didn't really get into flash until I got a DSLR, and could

delete the bad shots. But it works surprisingly well and easily on a film camera.

ok so... just keep it at 1/60 no matter what... even if I have it set on f22 at 3'? hmm... well there's only one way of finding out... take some pics... and then wait about a month to see the results! <br>

I always thought the x-synch speed meant this was the fastest shutter speed you could take with a flash, but it seems like this is the speed you set it on for flash?