Given a budget of £1000 ($1600) what camera would you choose for the studio?

colda

<p>Ok, assuming a maximum budget of £1000 ($1600) what would be your choice in camera for studio use?</p>

<p>Assume the following:</p>

<ul>

<li>Budget is for body only (basic lenses and studio kit already exist)</li>

<li>It will only every be used at base ISO</li>

<li>Will only ever be used in single shot mode (no need to fast performance)</li>

<li>Print output will be mostly 10x8 (maybe some 13x19)</li>

<li>Would be best to keep price as low as possible</li>

</ul>

<p>Heya Robbie</p>

<p>Personally, I'm a Nikon guy, I've been thinking about getting another camera for a while that'll be dedicated to

studio work, I've got it down to the following options:</p>

<p>- New D300<br />- Used D2Xs<br />- New Fuji S5<br />- Used Fuji S3 (cheapest option)<br />- Used Kodak

DCS proSLR</p>

<p>Although, I posted this as a more general kinda thing, I'm interested in what people consider/have experienced to

be a good studio camera, even for myself I'd consider using a different format for this project (as the camera would

remain on-site with the studio gear)</p>

The equipment you choose depends on the type of photography you plan to do. If you have "basic lenses," this implies you need a camera compatible with those lenses. Would that not limit the choices? Perhaps you could share that information. "Base ISO" implies a digital camera, rather than film, unless you are preemptively eschewing "pushing" or "pulling" the film in processing. "Single shot" mode as opposed to "Multi-shot" mode is an option only available in high-end digital backs, which cost well in excess of $1600. If you mean vs "Continuous" shooting, that has little effect on price - it is a standard feature on every small-format DSLR being sold. Any digital camera larger than a key fob can make a decent 8x10 inch print, at a very low price.

I'm beginning to suspect this is not a serious question, rather an attempt get people to describe their personal favorites or some other banality. Come back when you have a business plan, or at least some idea of what you want to do.

No Edward, this is not a serious question, semi-serious maybe, my apologies if you consider this thread a distraction

As mentioned above, I'm a Nikon user and have had some thoughts about what I could use, although I'm not restricted to what to use. The responses thus far have been interesting, I had not considered the idea of using film, to be honest I doubt that it'll be feasible for my use but the suggestion has certainly got me thinking on and considering the idea

I have a fair array of Nikon glass but if it were the case of buying and non-F-mount camera then I would look at the costs of getting suitable lenses

Please just consider this thread to be lightweight conversation :)

I must admit, I'm leaning more towards the S5 (and the possiblity of something medium format using film)

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't have selected the cameras on your list. My first instinct was "view camera." My second

recommendation would be medium format used rig.

I know some may cringe, but I think of DSLRs more for telecom or some kind of reportage. Maybe if your studio work is

in color a lot; if you have to generate digital products to meet your clients' needs, stick with those DSLR choices.

If you just have to straight up, make the image: sell that Nikon and get a view camera. You could kit the body and

spend more on a decent used lens.

Given $1600, I'd get a good, used medium format system in film and use it to shoot everything. I'd sell that other DSLR while

it still has value, unless it is earning its keep by helping you telecommunicate with customers, or earning its keep with you by producing

what you, personally, want. If the clients are in love with the digital color, I'd let it stay.

Still, though, I'd roll with medium format film, and limit my investment in digital, for the sake of business longevity. Or, as someone

suggested upgrading software above, make some other long-term payoff investment in the business.

Really, given the haphazard nature of Art as a trade, I'd say, bank it, if you have a working and viable system already.

Sorry, I feel like I've not given you the answer you are looking for; that's okay though, you don't need my answer. You need yours. Good

luck. J.

A Cambo 8x10 with virtually any modern 360mm lens in a reliable shutter and maybe half a dozen double film holders.

Its one of many similar 8x10 systems that represent the only opportunity in photography to consistently make

pictures containing detail finer than the eye can see; in effect infinite resolution.

If it was me I'd want a RB67 or Bronica mediuim format. For what you are talking about they would make the most sense. I would use a DSLR as photographers used to use Polaroid backs, for test pictures.

Now if you are going strictly DSLR then I would probably go with a D70 or D200/D300. Actually a D40 or D60 would probably do the job fine since you're only going to make 13X19 prints. I have a D60 and the IQ at ISO 100 is fantastic.