regarding this post-Any way to make a 5D always take a picture when I push the button?

In AV TV M or P mode go into custom functions and set CF foe the shutter to be AE lock and the * to be Autofocus.

You will then have the shutter controlled by the forefinger and it shoots whenever you want it to.

And your thumb controls the Autofocus. You will get a couple of shots just out of focus, particularly if anything is moving and you may get cramp in the thumb... but you have complete control.

Also you will find this works much quicker with focusing and recomposing than changing the dially thing for the focus point.

Cheers G

I believe the previous thread which has been cited, was more about the camera (re) focussing before taking the

exposure than the camera not allowing the exposure to be taken at all when the shutter release was depressed.

Robert:

If what I have stated is actually your issue then I confirm:

Set CF4 = 1

This sets the AF to the `*` button whilst keeping the release, with the shutter release button.

This will allow capture of images in or out of focus in these modes: P; Tv; Av; M; and A-DEP

The other option you have to separate focus and shutter release, which I do not believe was mentioned in the

previous thread, is to set your lenses to `MF`, which will allow you to release the shutter independently of any

focusing, whilst using every shooting mode, including the green rectangle.

WW