Magnum - is this

rui_lebreiro

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out www.magnuminmotion.com and take a look at Gilden's piece on foreclosures. It is tasteful and his approach to his subject different than that seen during the youtube clip in question.

This has been a pretty deep rabbit hole we've all fallen down...no?

Cheers,

Jay

matt,

i have strong principles

and the ends might not justify the means (in gilden's case, even the ends are worthless IMO)

and trust me, about magnum photographers, it's not only gilden (but let's not "dig deeper" as you say)

when people behave like superstars and stop respecting people... they loose everything

maybe that's when it starts the need to "impose", to get the shoot

gilden is not behaving like superstar in the latest piece... foreclosure. as a matter o fact he comes off quite genuine and

compassionate. but i suppose you mind is made up hey?

your first line is telling indeed. for a man who has won 3 national endowments for the arts the ends seems quite worthy.

as a matter of fact, judging by his cv a few other important folks find his "ends" rather worthy. so what we are focusing

on is of course ones "opinion" in the face of a lot of other "opinions".

i would like to "trust you" about magnums current crop but i'm a little confused... you seem quite out of touch with what's

going on in the magnum world, press world and modern currents in photography. sooo... what's to "trust"? care to share

your insight?

• 1 month later...

<p>WELL Rui<br>

I beleive Bruce Gilden to be a legend! The fact that you think he has no social morals makes him even more of a legend to me! His style and technique is sheer art and unique to him - he is appart of Magnum beacuse he is truly amazing!<br>

Every photographer should be different from the next. Cartier-Bresson and Weegee are also legends but in their own way- if Gilden was excatly the same he would not be unique, and what would art be?<br>

You can not say there are rules for an artist - and expiermenting with different flashes and cameras is how you create refreshing images - not copycat sun sets and photoshoped lakes.<br>

I do not think you are a ''traditional guy'' , and I am sorry to say that I think that you just maybe extremley narrow minded. Im sorry if I offend you!<br>

Also I think if Bruce Gilden shoved a camera in my face I would be flatterd - but thats not the point.<br>

He shoots as if it were a painless drive by with out the horrid after effects, you hardly know hes been there and even if you do see him you dont know where hes shooting!<br>

Maybe you should let it go and start appreciating fine art when you see it!<br>

Lara :)</p>

<p>don't get me wrong: even if I prefer a traditional photography myself, i admire and respect every kind of photography, BUT some principles are basic to me, and one of which is respect for people one photographs. Hell, look at Natchey... he does it wonderfully (and in much more difficult situations).</p>

<p>yes, gilden is trully a legend, a legend to always remind us that the essencial of photographing people is really the people, not the outcome. As i wrote before, cartier-bresson himself couldn't have said it better when he mentioned the photographer becoming "unbearably obstrusive".</p>

<p>about magnum photographers these days... i prefer not to go that way. Let us all live happy and take many photos :)</p>