Deciding on films to travel with, do you take a variety, or stick to one?

steve_robb1

Hi everybody!

This is something I've been thinking about a bit lately, I've never really travelled too far from home (never more than a

couple days drive), but I'm toying with the idea of branching out a little next year. I'm able to access my long service

leave in 2009, and my head is buzzing with the thought of taking three-six months off and just doing something

completely different! I've got my brother getting married up in Queensland (I'm currently based in Victoria, Australia),

I've also been invited to the Ukraine, so there's all sorts of potential for the new year.

The thought that I've been pondering, is on which films to take. Not having put too much thought into it, what ever I

end up doing I'm thinking of taking my Pentax 645 kit, and either my trusty Yashica Lynx, or maybe even buying a

slim digital P&S to keep in my pocket. So, my two main thoughts are, Velvia 50 and Tri-X, possibly some Provia for

the wedding too (that's one event that I KNOW I'll get to), however, the thought did cross my mind, imagine having

travelled a great distanceo nly to get home and develop your tri-x and think "Damn, I wish I'd taken that particular

shot in colour!". So I thought, would it be feasable/reasonable/totally rediculous to carry just a colour positive film,

that way anything that 'should' be in b&w can always be scanned and converted upon returning home?

As I mentioned, this is just a floating thought that I entertained and became curious on. I'd love to hear any thoughts

from others out there. I guess, really, that's the beauty of digital, isn't it? ;)

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Steve,

An option that I sometimes choose(I shoot large format and 6x17)is to carry some color negative film. This could be used

for high contrast situation that will be difficult for the Velvia to handle, and as a film to shoot for black & white conversion

later. Also a color negative film will give you additional speed when necessary. I find this a good compliment to the Velvia.

I usually use Fujicolor 160S or Kodak Porta 160NC. These films scan well and I can always add contrast/saturation in PP.

www.randylarsonphotography.com Randy

Thanks Randy,

I've still got a semi-decent stash of 160S in my freezer, in 35mm though (good excuse to take an old rangefinder :P ). Do you shoot 'true' black and white while you're out, or do you find that converting the colour neg does the job well enough for you?

I think it's best to limit the types of film you carry to two or three. This way you can use film with which you are thoroughly familiar and have a much easier time in the post-processing phase than with a wider mix.

Landscapes and architecture are best shot on a slow, fine-grained film using a tripod. I tend to use Fuji Reala (ISO 100) for these applications, although Fuji NPS160 works well, has a slightly larger dynamic range (10 stops) and is a little faster. For hand-held travel shots and people pictures, or using flash I prefer a faster film such as Fuji NPH400. My choice is largely dictated by suitable shutter speeds with as little grain as practical. ISO 100 film is a little frustrating in the shade or on a dark day.

I tend to steer clear of reversal film for several reasons. The most important is that my ultimate output consists of prints or image files, and reversal film has no advantage except on a light table or when projected. The second reason is that the dynamic range of reversal film is very narrow, 3.5 to 5 stops, and has no useable shadow detail. Among other things, this results in very little latitude to make color or exposure adjustments in post.

You invariably have the wrong film loaded at the wrong time. It's best to carry two bodies, each loaded with a different film. Since the Pentax does not have interchangible backs, nor is it an ideal "people" or walkabout camera, perhaps a slower film and a tripod would be the best choice. Use the Pentax for scenes suitable for enlargement, with its capacity for a lot of detail. For small-format shooting without a tripod, ISO 400 film is a good compromise. In my days of traveling with film, I would use 10 rolls of NPH400 to every roll of Reala or Velvia.

The best choice for small-format shooting is a DSLR. I recall traveling with 120 rolls of 35mm film for a three week tour of Europe, which weighed over 10 pounds and occupied its own suitcase. On my last trip, three weeks of shooting was contained in a disk drive the size of a deck of cards and a couple dozen DVDs.

I personally take a variety, plus I also bring two film bodies. My reasoning is that when I travel I both have to take care of the family and get my best shots for nature. The Nature images are almost all Velvia (ASA 50 or 100), the family shots are garden variety Kodak Gold ASA 400 print films. Occasionally I do bring other films as well if I have special needs (B&W or ASA160 print portrait films). I have to set realistic budgets and I'm generally pretty impressed with what I get back from Kodak IMHO (maybe my eyes aren't as good as the rest of yours as well).

When I travel I usually take a few different print films with me. I try to guage what my shooting situations might be, but generally I'll take fuji reala, fuij superia 400 and ilford xp-2 super with me. I'll generally take 2 rolls of reala, 3 rolls of superia and 1 roll of ilford xp2 with me for every 2 days of travel if I think I am going to be doing mostly cities. Nature trips would probably be 3 rolls of reala, 1 or 2 of superia and 1 of ilford for every 2 days. I ususally come back with extra film, but better to much then to little.

I do really want to try out the new Ektar to see how it stacks up against reala.

Ultracolor negative is also my favorite, but that's only for 35mm. The other most flexible is 400VC (the new one) available in 120.

It really comes down to landscapes/projection or people and prints. My most memorable photos always end up being of people,

and I prefer prints.

And since you're hitting a wedding, only negative film will do. You mentioned Provia, and I find even with the latest emulsion Provia F,

there is no shadow detail when you slightly underexpose (to save highlights from blowing out). Keep it simple and just use 400VC.

I stick to two colour slide emulsions and one b&w. Thats mainly because I have to remember to change my hand-held meter settings every time I change film back, and experience tells me that I don't want to carry more than three backs and if I do then I tend to screw up exposures. You may not have this problem if you use the Pentax' meter, but if I recall right the Pentax doesn't come with interchangeable backs so your flexibility is in any case limited.

I"ve given up on film years ago and went digital. For some years before then, x-ray machines at the airports would ruin my film so that many photos came out with black clouds on them. But they don't affect digitally stored data.

If you're traveling by car, then film's ok. I'd say stay with the film you know works for you.

The x-rays at airports have gotten better and you can also take the film out of your bag and have them hand check it. We have lead bags as well and they tend to attract attention so we end up showing TSA the film any way.

I shoot B&W and carry 100 and 400 for my M6. Usually a roll of 100 does the trick during the day and 400 at night. The rangefinder is very quiet and I have had success at 1/15 hand held. I don't carry a tripod, especially after my table top model, when folded and its case, looked like a gun. Many places don't allow tripods anyway.

• 2 weeks later...