Heres a quick recipe about how i do my sharpening. It is well explain in the last book from Bruce Fraser call

Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop CS2 by Bruce Fraser. I also have writen a small tutorial for a

magazine in english and french..fgeel free to ask it..its free.

1_ Capture Sharpening is applied early in the image-editing process, and just aims to restore any sharpness that

was lost in the capture process.

2_ Creative Sharpening is usually applied locally to accentuate specific features in an image-for example, we

often give eyes a little extra sharpness in head shots.

3_ Output Sharpening is applied to files that have already had capture and creative sharpening applied, after

they've been sized to final output resolution, and is tailored to a specific type of output process.

If you want to automate the process check out the Pixel Genius Photoshop plug-in PhotoKit Sharpener from http://www.pixelgenius.com . The late (and sorely missed) Bruce Fraser created the Photokit sharpener with input from other members of the PixelGenius crew.

If you are using Lightroom there are two capture sharpening presets , based on the Photokit Sharpener, that are options in the Develop Module. When you either export or print directly from Lightroom you also have the option of applying a rather simplified output sharpener targeted to the size, resolution and type of output.

>>> If you are using Lightroom there are two capture sharpening presets , based on the Photokit Sharpener, that are

options in the Develop Module. When you either export or print directly from Lightroom you also have the option of applying

a rather simplified output sharpener targeted to the size, resolution and type of output.

I'm really impressed how well LR sharpening works. The designers did a great job abstracting out the complexity...

www.citysnaps.net

Ellis,

When using LR2 print sharpening do you generally click on the Print Resolution box, or allow the file to print at its native resolution? I have found that the print shaprening in LR2 to produce less than desirable results when printing a small image 4x6 from a high res file. It appeared oversharpened even at the low print sharpening setting I did not click the Print Resolution box to force a specific resolution and in a previous thread it was suggested that may have been the issue.

I had a prior post that raised this follow-up question, but it had fallen down in the list and didn't get the feedback. Sorry for hijacking the thread Patrick.

Regards,

Eric

At the risk of hijacking Patrick's thread (sorry Patrick)

No problem Eric, if that coudl help you : )

I would use the low sharpen in Lr 2, or simply turn it OFF (what i do) and do a better one in the sharpen menu.

_____

Since Ps have already a good way of making a sharpen, call Smart Sharpen, i have a hard time spending $ to get something else to do it. The bad things is those external plugin dont just cost 50$ but some hundred $..that i find ridiculous since you can do it directly in CS, with the rigth knowlege, the exact same result.

I have create a french and english tutorial for a magazine, if any one would like to get is hand on it, just ask by email..its free : )

then you decide if you really need to invest more $ to get your file *sharper*

Hello Patrick

Thank you for your informative posts (as ever). For finacial reasons, I am still using DPP and PS7 to process my 40D RAW files. I apply a little capture sharpening - usually at level 2 but this is arbitrary. I am starting to try a little creative sharpening followed obviously by output sharpening. For these, I use USM and assume I'm limited to that.

I would very much like to read your article please.

Jim

well, at the time of this article, Lr 2 was not out..i still prefer to do it in Ps instead of in the raw software, but i could say that if well done you could do it in Lr2 now..the only thing is i find it a bit difficult for new commer to get the rigth number..vs the simplicity and spectacular result of Smart Sharpen.