How often do you use a tripod?

Never. Don't even own one. I shoot B&W in 35mm and MF and my shutter speeds are nearly always over 1/250 outside. Inside I handhold down to 1/125 or even 1/60 because inside shots are nearly always people shots that are shot wide open and do not need to be super sharp. Everything looks fine. Never use a flash either. I just keep one around for checking light leaks in old folders and for scaring the cat.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small Velbon Max i 343 E is always in or near my kit. Whether 35, digital p&s or MF, it does wonders when scenic,

architectural, macro or other creative and contemplative photography is the name of the game. Has saved many pictures

from becoming technical slush. Sets up rapidly and is small.

Nearly 100% of the time. I spend 5 minutes getting ready for a shot, and the last thing I need is camera shake. I try hard to get framing and perspective just so. Fuji Velvia 50 also tends to slow you down.

My results are not great by the standards of this site, but I think they would be worse without the tripod.

Depends on whether subject is stationary or moving or if rapidly changing conditions will be missed. On tripod whenever possible and cable release (left front vest pocket to left front of camera) and mirror lockup. No one mentioned HOW to carry it to make it easy and comfortable to carry and access. That might encourage keeping it along. I use a padded shoulder strap and hang it upside down on the non bag shoulder. Helps balance the load, and I dont even notice it there although with ball head it weighs 6.2 lbs with bungied umbrella. The counter balance seems to help with back fatigue from the 15 lb bag on the other shoulder (about 10 lbs when body and lens around neck, and camera counterbalanced by flashes, umbrella holders in back of vest). Then its always at hand and since upside down, can be left partially extended if not in close quarters. The manfrotto 3001pro has attachments on collar and end of center column for strap attachment and the strap doesnt have to be removed to use the tripod or elevate center column.

I'm a newbie, so I use it a lot. And I made a special loopy thing with a clip so it stays right on my camera bag. I NEVER take it off unless I'm using it. Or unless I'm at a museum and they confiscate it. lol I've been burned too many times with blurry shots in low light. I've been called "Low Light Lucy". But hey, I'm learning. Hopefully I won't need it so much after awhile. M

While in my fiftie's I was aware of some occasional "shakiness," now nearing my seventie's it's always present, sometimes quite annoyingly. Now if I am using a camera, it's always on the tripod, or at least the monopod. I'm so used to it that without it, I feel something is missing.

So, I tried an experiment with a young friend, (28,) that is quite a serious hobby photographer, who didn't even own a tripod. Asked her to take shot's with no tripod, being as careful as possible to hold steady. Then take same shot's with my tripod and compare. Some were close, but overall a very noticeable improvement with use of the tripod, several were remarkably superior. She is now sold and owns a very good tripod, using it extensively.

With this in mind, I now wish I had known of the benefit and had used them early on, I have zero doubt that I would have turned out better results, even in my twentie's. I highly recommend the use, whenever it's not in the way or difficult to implement.

Patrick