What lighting is this?

fastshutter

Hey guys,

Here is a link to some rug photography I'm curious about the lighting on. Is this window/ ambient lighting or

strobe? Any Ideas on how this lighting setup was done. I’m guessing most of the photos are window light but I may

be wrong. Thanks for any help.

Kenny

http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/templates/P8.jhtml?itemId=cat8520731&parentId=cat6790734&masterId=cat1590731&cmCat=

It's pretty simple really. It appears to have light from behind (either a window or large panel that looks like one). It also appears to be lit from above with a highly diffused source, like a panel or light box. It's pretty flat lighting and while it looks okay, I don't know that it's doing any favors for showing off the rugs.

Flat, boring window light, most likely. Definitely not the most inspiring rug photography I've seen-their use of window light in the other sections of the site is much better. If I were shooting rugs on a floor, I would set up general lighting with one or two large umbrellas, then add a nice splash of light from either a window or a large softbox with a mask.

You can easily mimic it with a softbox in the window position and on overhead softbox for fill. Or you could get much the same effect by using actual window light (not direct sunlight) by using the aperture to control the flash exposure and the shutter speed to control the natural light exposure.

You want to hang on to that client - you won't find many as totally lacking in knowledge of good lighting...

It's high budget stuff, shot in a huge studio/warehouse with an artificial "window" in a room that has no ceiling

and only

two or three walls. A huge light bank that provides

fill is suspended from an overhead grid above where the ceiling would be in a normal

room. There

are thirty four rugs on that page, with about 20 different flooring surfaces that can be chosen from a warehouse

full of flooring... <p>It was probably done at one of the huge furniture photography studios in Highpoint, North

Carolina... t