Suggestions on a great book for beginners

jennh

Does anyone have a suggestion on a book for beginners?

I have very recently started to take photography very seriously. I have no formal training and consider myself a

quick learner, which is why I am doing my best to learn as much about photography from various mediums, including

this site. My biggest teacher has just been hands on. Meaning I just go outside with my camera and just start

shooting while changing the settings and seeing what happens. However, I still need help.

While I go through this site I do find very educational information but am very unfamiliar with a lot of the

terms, so I am looking for suggestions on a great book to go over the basics of photography.

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a great learning tool, and David D. Busch does a hands on book on various cameras. I have a Sony A100 and his book covers just about every question that I have. I know he does one for Nikons and I believe for other makes as well.

Go to a Borders Bookstore, grab a latte and 4 or 5 instructional books on photography...read for about an hour. By the end of that time, you'll have a good idea of which book has the info presented in a way you can best learn it. Of course there are the Ansel Adams books, but they are really for somebody a little farther along the learning curve. I always liked Les Meehan's "Creative Exposure Control" and John Hedgecoe's "The Photographer's Handbook" - with more than 1250 illustrations.

I learnt the same way,,,but I have a few books now, around 5-7 books..mostly from used book stores, remember you can pick up an old one about film and it will teach the basics with-out getting into the digital parts which is good. I find every book has a strong point and weak point so don't just rely on one, you will learn something new from each book..If I see a good book at a great price I still pick it up cause I may just learn somthing new, and if anything I love looking at their sample pics.

Also take lighting course a your local college, this will help out plus you get to mingle with other like headed people and learn something...

I am in the process of reading "Understanding Exposure" (I have a 6 month old baby, so it's going to take me a while to finish this book!) and so far I really like it. I have already learned alot and I'm only on page 24. I think this book is a must read for anyone who is interested in taking their photography skills to the next level.

The new 35mm photographer's handbook

by Julian Calder

This one is pretty nice, it takes lots of areas you need to get nice pictures, it helps you to decide your gear, technical settings, ilumination and composition for each kind of photography, macro, portrait, architecture, nature, studio etc.

Best one I ever used was "How to Take Great Pictures with your SLR", given away, alas, these many years ago. Totally out of print. Might find one in a library or used book store. Excellent A to B to C,,etc., all terms defined as you went along, good photos as examples of what was being discussed on that page

As a film shooter of B&W I recommend four softback books by Ansel Adams:

The Camera

The Film

The Print

This is a series of three.

Then also get "Examples" where he describes in detail how he produced his images. Seen in person his work is beyond belief.

Good luck, you won't be a beginner for long!

I found Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson really helpful. It teaches you the basics (aperture, iso, shutter speed) and how to use them creatively. He also explains how to correctly meter the scene.

You might also be interested in reading "The Negative" by Ansel Adams, from a local library, in which the most important thing for me was the zone system.

"Hi" Jennifer,

Go to www.short courses.com digital photography. It has EVERYTHING that one would want to know including animations on how various things work. It has 5 or 6 different books to explore starting with getting to know your camera. EXCELLENT site!!!! Hope you enjoy it. Good luck, Holly.

all books will teach you the same "basics" aperature, shutter, DoF the differences between lens type and all the necessary "science" behind photography. This is the same approach i took to learning so i read untill my eyes ached and i think i am pretty good on the theory of photography BUT... i only started learning by doing and thats my advice dont buy a book, get one from a library and save the money to put towards a fun toy for your camera!