Refrigeration of Professional Films

I know this has probably been asked before, but I wasn't able to find the answer in past threads. I'm going on a "road

trip" in a few days, and will be gone for about two weeks. I plan to take some Kodak Portra 160VC & 400VC and

maybe Fuji 160S. The films will not be subjected to extremely warm temperatures, basically room temperature. I will

not be able to refrigerate them during that time (but they're in my freezer at the moment). I know I could probably

keep them in an insulated cooler, but want to travel as light and uncomplicated as possible. Will there be any

negative effect if these films are not refrigerated for two weeks? Also, do most of you shoot these at box speed, or

overexpose slightly, say 125 & 320, respectively? Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about refrigeration for your film. Two weeks in a hot glove box would be a problem, two weeks at room temperature will make no difference. I find that shooting pro films at box speed leaves the negatives a little too thin for my taste. I shoot the 160 ASA at 100. I don't shoot 400 ASA, but if I did, I would expose at 320. Remember to let your film reach room temperature before breaking the seal.

I routinely take film out in the 95+ degree heat for days on end - it will be fine. Extremely warm would be

keeping it in car with the windows up all day - only then would you run into problems. Room temperature is not

going to do anything to it. It got warmer than that when it was being shipped from the plant to the store and

then again when it got shipped to you. Unless you are keeping it for a couple of years, don't worry about

chilling it.

- Randy

For professional print films, not a big problem. Any shift in color balance would be corrected in printing anyway. They can take plenty of responsible treatment, but can't handle true abuse the way the consumer films can.

It's E-6 film for product photography where folks are really concerned about color balance being dead on, and keeping it cold becomes really important.