120 reels

OK I admit it has been about 30 years or so since I loaded a 120 reel - But I had forgotten how screwy film can

be. I know this may win the prize for dumb question BUT does anybody have any pointer, suggestions etc on

how to get 120 film to properly thread onto a 120 reel?? I can get it started but within the first revolution one

leading corner or the other slips the giude rail and I am having to start over - Thanks in advance, Jeff Phillips

Are they adjustable reels? If so are they set fully in the 120 'notch'. Is there anything on the reel surface that would knock the film out? If you see no problem, try loading a roll that is already processed (or a scrap roll) in daylight and see if you can see what is causing the film to fall off the guide. I know one reel I have slips pretty easy with much flex of the film.

Fist suggestion: don't bother using the reel's center clip. Second suggestion: sacrifice a roll and practice in room light so you can actually see what you are doing wrong (or right). Thousands with a lot less dexterity than you have mastered this task. You will work it out - I promise.

I have a test roll (old, expired and undeveloped) and the film has a wicked curve that simply won't budge - that is

the problem and as you (both) suggest is the direct cause - SIGHHHHH - will keep practicing - I got it once so will

get it again :-) I hope the next roll (awaiting the developer from back east) won't be as curved - will see - but

onward - the upside is it drives my wife just a little crazy :-) Thanks to both - Jeff Phillips

Personally, I find the center clip essential to loading. Even so, if the film keeps slipping out while loading,

try unwinding more film between the reel hand and your film hand before you start, and then as you wind the film

onto the reel keep moving your film hand closer to the reel hand. This will remove all the tension from the film

on the reel as you load and it should slip on much better. When your hands get close together, hold the film

gently with the tips of your finger and thumb of the hand holding the reel and unwind more film from your film

hand. It helps to have a large bag or darkroom so that you can move your hands farther apart while loading.

<BR><BR>

Alternatively, you could use the tape from the end of the spool to tape the end of the film to the center of the

spool. That should hold it firmly in place while you load. This works for me when I am working in the field in a

changing bag and don't have enough real estate inside the bag. I <I>still</I> have not managed to get a changing

tent for some reason...

<BR><BR>

One last thing. If you unwind the film from the paper <I>before</I> loading the reel the process goes a lot

smoother, at least for me. I usually unwind the entire roll of film from the paper and the film curls up nicely

all on it's own as it comes off the paper. Then I hold that film roll in one hand and the reel in the other. I

use my finger tips to slip the end of the film (the one with the tape folded over) into the clip, gently unwind a

good length of film between my hands, and start rotating the reel to load the film. When my hands get close to

each other the film is usually loaded firmly enough that it can no longer slip out, but if you are working in a

confined space it helps to do what I described above.

<BR><BR>

- Randy

I am so slow some days - just realized (thanks to Rick and Randall) what that little clip is in the center of the reel - in this case, because of the terrible curve, it was the answer - so just loaded my first roll in many decades :-) The real test is coming up but what a relief - THANKS TO ALL - Jeff Phillips