Need pricing advice quick: construction photo-documentation job... 1st mtg tomorrow

tj_boyle

I just rec'd a call from a local contractor this evening, and he wants to meet with me tomorrow evening about a

job he is bidding.

The basics he gave me to work with, prior to seeing the actual bid proposal guidelines are, on this job, the

client is requiring him to sub-contract a photographer to document the construction progress. This is an aprox.

2.5M contract-- the construction of a new addition to a local school. My understanding is that the job will

require a shoot, once a week for a minimum of 1 yr./ 52 weeks, two sets of prints (not sure how many prints) of

each shoot (one for the contractor and one for the client) with site specific notations on the back of each

print. All digital masters are to be saved and provided upon request, and at the end of construction, perhaps at

different intervals throughout the job, the photos are to be compiled into a presentation format (PDF). Finally,

the client will retain all rights on the photos.

That's about all I have to work with so far. I've done some portrait work, some event work, a number of weddings,

and a couple of small real estate shoots. However, I've never done anything on this scale and have no idea how to

price this. If you're reading this, and can offer up any tips or advice-- I can't tell you how much I would

appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Sure looks like a standard work for hire situation, so you charge by the hour for this one. I'd guess approx one to two hours on site per week, plus travel time and post time. Find out approx how many shots the contractor is looking for per week. There will be quite a number on some weeks.

Hope you know something about building construction. You will be needing a hard hat and safety boots as well.

You are no different than any other sub trade in this situation. Under bid and you are stuck with the losses.

To get an idea of what your hourly rate could be, find out what the local rates are for licensed electricians, plumbers and hvac installers.

Best of luck

Be careful to read the fine print and find what your responsibilities and liabilities are. You don't want to catch yourself in a situation where

you were supposed to document the hidden stuff (in side walls - electrical, plumbing etc) and have to brunt the cost of ripping said walls

out and inspect at a later date.

See if the contractor can send you a list of duties to review prior to the meeting so you can be prepared.

As far as charging- $250/week will bring in $13,000 to your company- $500/ $26,000 - I don't know what your time is worth so I just wanted

to throw those numbers out there. I do know that the construction people don't really know either and will probably see either of those

numbers at the end of year as high- but we must educate them.

Thanks guys, you brought up some points I didn't think about--and have been extremely helpful. I got a little more info, and I'm crunching some numbers now...but I think I'm gonna go the hourly route. I also didn't think about things like shooting minute details, or additional labor that that may entail-- so thanks for the tips Robert. Additionally, I've called around to some other contractors and have worked a median average hourly rate based on your advice Bob. So, like I said, thanks for the good advice in a pinch, you guys really helped out.

I'm still trying to figure how to pad to accommodate prints, presentations, etc, or how to bid that-- but I still need more specific details before I know all the small print details. I'll probably just use my standard rates on those items...maybe a little less since I'm essentially bidding onsite and post labor as well. I don't know though, I'm still working that one out. Anyway, thanks again. Cheers!

Look at the ASMP guide. It has some pricing information. You can also check out their website. My suggestion is to really work out the details on when and how you will be paid. Especially the part about being paid when photos are delivered. Get it in writing. Don't take their word. As we have seen this month, even the biggest banks can go out of business suddenly.

On top of the time shooting, processing the files and producing or ordering the prints, how will the image files be used? I

would make sure that Advertising, Promotional pieces and websites is covered with a separate fee and period of time for

use. It may not be a large amount considering the subject but there is value in all images.

• 3 months later...

<p>Hey guys, thanks again for the quick tips-- sorry, crazy latter part of '08, and I haven't logged on to P.net lately.<br>

In case you were curious, yeah-- I bid the job, and the contractor was happy with my bid-- I worked it out line by line- hourly, printing, travel, etc., etc.-- estimated out to around 20k. However, the contractor backed out of bidding the job, citing issues he had had in the past working with the chief architect on the job. Not a big deal-- It all came about in about a 48 hr period, and I was afraid I was about to bite off more than I could chew anyway.</p>