50D Image Artifact

gary_boss

Try mapping it out with the dust delete function. It disappears or reduces you know you probably have a mark on the

CMOS cover/filter and a cleaning may be in order. If not, you have a more serious problem in need of repair.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Lester, I don't think he's asking about the vignetting in the left upper right, but the horizontal line through the upper third of

the image. But, yeah, looks like the hood is incorrectly mounted too.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

This line appears to change density across the image. Have you taken a shot with a plain background to see if it affected by the scene illumination? It may on the sensor or in the electronics, either way it does not look good and should be sorted out by Canon.

On my screen it also looks like you have a couple of fine lines along the top of the image too.

Shoot something simple and have a careful look at the images on screen

use different memory cards and lenses, card reader etc

See if the lines are visible on you camera LCD as well or is it only after download to your computer.

As you eliminate each variable bit you will eventually come down to the conclusion of what the problem is or that

you have a bad camera. Return promptly for exchange – a new one not a repair.

Good luck – may the force be with you.

think of canon's position. new model that is just rolling out, with another new model (5d/2) coming out very soon. they will jump at the chance to replace this body.

(if it were me) i'd send it back with a note and some prints showing the problem. i can't imagine canon will give you any flak whatsoever.

ps -- you have more than one line. at very top of frame is another, much thicker, line. the sensor and/or processor is shot