Stacking FD extension tubes

mark_pierlot

Canon advised against stacking the FD series of extension tubes. The concern is that the amount of force needed to close the lens' diaphragm may stress the camera's aperture coupling lever and increase the wear-and-tear. If you stack two FD extension tubes, the camera's aperture coupling lever must move the combined mass of three aperture levers, as well as overcoming the friction between them. I suspect that it could also affect the camera's ability to stop the lens down consistently.

I'm sure some users have stacked FD extension tubes with no apparent problems, and that Canon may have been conservative in their recommendations. Just be aware of Canon's position and proceed with care. If you're using a body that has the stop-down feature, you may want to use it to reduce the stress on the coupling lever.

I occasionally use the 25U and 50U stacked on my 100mm F4 and have had no problems. I do however manually stop down the lens which may help. I have used this setup mainly on F1Ns and occasionally on the T90 for quite a few years. I think if you avoid using an automatic mode little damage will result.