Anyone know of a good affordable and easy to use website host.

misty_flowers

Your best bet is to just get a real hosting company like network solutions or some other industrial host and build your

own website or hire someone to build one for you.

When you use a template you are not necessarily getting the most effective website for selling your services.

Plus you will look like every other photographer on the planet?

Also using a social or community website like Pbase or Flickr is not professional enough.

If you want to learn more photography business and marketing secrets see the link in my profile home here

Cheers,

Wayne

Check out www.Betterphoto.com I've been using a site with them for about 3 years and it's been trouble free. Love it ! You can check out my web site at www.RobValineimages.com

There's also the free ones you can set up at

www.MySpace.com

and www.Flickr.com

I use MySpace, Flickr and photo.net to direct traffic into my web site. The forums at these sites and the networking are great ! I just set up a pro account at Flickr.com and have been blogging my butt off. I'm also a subscriber at photo.net.

I'm using 1and1.com for my personal site which gets me a .com address. I pay something like $50 a year (I don't even pay attention because it's so little) and I've never had an issue. I went with them because many years ago they offered a free 3-year trial of their site, but you didn't get a domain name with it. When that trial ran out, I renewed my contract and started paying.

If you are simpy looking for a host, then I'm not sure. But if you are looking for a website creation/hosting system (since you mention the need for easy to use and password protected galleries), you might want to look into www.photobiz.com. That's who I go thru. They have a flat rate for set-up, and then a monthly fee based on how many photos are hosted with them. REALLY nice looking and very easy to use.

For hosting, I like BlueHost.com. Their uptime has been good, there are lots of one-click installs, and the backend stuff is not a hassle. Add-on domains for free is nice too. I run a simple html splash page with links to the various other parts of my site (yellowwood.us)

For lockable galleries and photo sales, I use photoreflect since I'm getting started. I chose the percentage of sales deal for this with photoreflect vs. up front $$ and tiered storage limits with others. It's worked out pretty well.

In addition to this, I run a blog with Serendipity software that allows me to keyword each specific blog entry so that it points back to the sales site gallery written about in each blog post.