Optimal Lighting for RODINAL & TRI-X

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum.

Based on your personal experiences, what have you found to be the "best/optimal" (or your favorite) outdoor lighting conditions -- overcast,

sunny, etc. -- for using TRI-X 135 and RODINAL combination. And, which EI ratings/dilutions/developing times do you prefer?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

I somewhat agree with Russ and Chris. I shoot Trix at 250 for everything. I shouldn't but that is what I do. I develop it Rodinal 50+1 and use the time on the sheet. The negatives are a little denser (because of the 250 EI) but that is what I like. Russ is right, it is great in medium format and is a good flat light film.

Rodinal is one of the few developers where experimenting with development dilution and technique pays off. Stand development is fun and low stress. On a test roll, there are a thousand different ways to approach stand development. Some people say 1:150, others 1:300.... some say let it stand for 2 hours, others say to just let it stand for 30 minutes with one minute of agitation at 20 minutes. I've heard it all, and the funny thing is most of them work.

My favorite way to use Rodinal is to pull develop to get sharp negatives with fine grain (a stop is a good start, depending on the film, sometimes you can go 2.5 stops with certain films if needed). I discovered this recently as I always thought taking a 400 speed film and pulling was a waste of film, but the look is clean, and sharp. haven't experimented with Tri-X as I have alot of Fuji Neopan films to clear out of my freezer as of late.

Well, I made a boo boo recently with having too many Neopan films. I mistook some Neopan 1600 for Neoapn 100 SS

(they are both black, green, and white!). I've been trying to recover from this mistake. Luckily the roll was

shot with strobe at about a stop and a third underexposure.

So far, I've been able to pull safely to EI 250, decently to EI 200, but it doesn't look like I'll get close to

EI 100. A stop to a stop and a half overexposure will be nasty, but I'm still trying.to get it down to EI 100.

The only samples I have scanned at the moment are test shots from a half frame Former Soviet Union camera, the

Fed Mikron. Focusing is guessed and then dialed in. Exposure is set in the old GOCT/TOCT scale which is similar

to Weston's. I shot these at EI 200, that's a 3 stop pull. The meter seems accurate for daylight, but testing is

still in progress.

These scans were made with this process.

Neopan 1600 shot at EI 200

Rodinal mixed 1:150 (higher dilutions yield less grain which I did on another batch, not scanned)

Agitation the first minute, agitated again for 30 seconds at 15 minutes, then dumped the developer at 25 minutes.

(Total development time is 25 minutes)

Water stop bath

Fix

No HCA on hand, so used the Ilford mehtod of running water for about 20 min with 4 dumps (overkill).

Photflo

Dry

When I experimented with different dilutions and times, only thing that changed was the shadow detail and grain.

The less developer used, seems less grain. More time, seems better shadow detail. However, it was a hard pull, so

shadow detail was irrelevant. A more analytic eye might notice differences among the zones. It worked for my

current purpose of saving a roll.Everyone does their stand development different, I guess it depends on who you

trust.

Didn't crop these, as I liked the look. Notice the edge sharpness and contrast are spot on in my opinion.<div>00R8fF-77927584.jpg.f7188c8985ad0b8cb449f4b21b8c8182.jpg</div>